Buying an upload component

Ray at

I despise installing third party software on my workstations or servers. It
is for this reason that I use componentless-upload for file uploads. This
is no longer an option, and I have to purchase an upload component. For
someone who hates third party software and also does not want any kind of
nonsense "bonus" features like progress bars or whatever, can anyone
recommend a component for me? The cost doesn't really matter. I am aware
of what components are out there, but I've never used any of them or paid
any attention to them. This'll go on a W2K Server. The first one that
comes to mind is ASP Upload, but only because that's the one I hear about
the most.

Thanks,

Ray at work

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

I despise installing third party software on my workstations or servers.
It
is for this reason that I use componentless-upload for file uploads. This
is no longer an option, and I have to purchase an upload component.

Why is this no longer an option?
For
someone who hates third party software and also does not want any kind of
nonsense "bonus" features like progress bars or whatever, can anyone
recommend a component for me?

ASPUpload. We use it here, and it is both reliable and quite scalable.

Ray at

Aaron Bertrand - MVP said:
Why is this no longer an option?

It's just too slow, and we're going to have people uploading multi-meg PDFs
and what not. I figured that I'd have to get a component one day, and I
just have to suck it up. If I were a time-millionaire, I'd either create my
own, or recode everything in .net. I'll get right on that...
ASPUpload. We use it here, and it is both reliable and quite scalable.

Thank you.

Ray at work

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

It's just too slow, and we're going to have people uploading multi-meg
PDFs
and what not.

I doubt that whatever component-less solution you are using now is the main
cause for slowness. Why do you think a component would be faster?
Definitely try it out, but I would suspect something more fundamental
(server resources, network utilization, etc). I actually find
component-less upload slightly faster (less overhead), but for our
commercial applications we need vendor support as opposed to home-grown
code.

Ray at

Aaron Bertrand - MVP said:
I doubt that whatever component-less solution you are using now is the main
cause for slowness. Why do you think a component would be faster?

I thought that I had remembered hearing many times that script solutions are
noticeably slower than components. But, I suppose the only slowness would
be in the processing only, not the actual data transfer, so how noticeable
could it really be? But, I didn't question it much.
Definitely try it out, but I would suspect something more fundamental
(server resources, network utilization, etc).

The slowness is probably caused by my expectations. I'll consider lowering
them to make things seem faster.
I actually find
component-less upload slightly faster (less overhead), but for our
commercial applications we need vendor support as opposed to home-grown
code.

That is very interesting. Thanks. I'm going to install ASP Upload and time
some uploads using both now. Thanks.

Ray at work

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

The slowness is probably caused by my expectations. I'll consider
lowering
them to make things seem faster.

Good plan! I do that all the time. :)

Fred Jones

In my opinion even the best pure asp file upload solutions are not very
impressive performance-wise.
Anyone that tells you different is wrong or does not have enough experience
in the area of file uploading.

(pure code vs a component)
You can flat out see the difference in upload times, speed, and reliability.
Your site will run much better and your server will thank you.

Have you ever watched the performance part of task manager when a pure asp
upload solution is at work compared to how it reacts to using a component ?
If you do the results are obvious. It will usually max out your processor
and even for a short burst that is not something you need happening. Now
watching the performance part if not the most technical way to test things
but it is an easy way to get a good idea of what is going on for the average
Joe.

We have used a lot of the upload components for years and have tried most of
the pure asp code methods written. There is absolutely no comparison period.

If you are on a budget and do not really have a lot going on pure asp is
fine.

However...

If you have a busy/serious site a real upload component is a must.
If you are allowing multiple file uploads a real upload component is a must.
If you are uploading large files a real upload component is a must.

As for good components.
SAFILEUP and ASPUPLOAD are two of the most popular on hosted solutions.
We have never had a problem with either. They have great documentation and
samples as well.

There is a popular free component called DUNDAS which also seems to work
fine under extended testing.

An good upload component along with a good emailing component is one of the
best things you add to ASP functionality.

I cannot name the companies, but we designed the system for one of the top
10 image hosting companies on the net. File/Picture uploading is one of our
most knowledgeable areas.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

In my opinion even the best pure asp file upload solutions are not very
impressive performance-wise.
Anyone that tells you different is wrong or does not have enough experience
in the area of file uploading.

???

Anyone that makes such a contradictory and blanket statement should spend
more time testing and less time yapping.

mePadre

I have been using ASP Upload (Persits) for a number of
years and love it. Easy integration and I have not had
any complaints about speed or resource robbing (other than
the users who wonder why their 10 meg PDF takes a while to
send to the server... doh!).

Additionally, support has been fantastic. I detected an
error in the sendBinary property when using Netscape, sent
an email to their support, received a very prompt reply
and there was a revision within days.

Thumbs up for ASP Upload.

Fred Jones

Aaron,

Yea, I'm sorry.
I obviously have no idea what I am talking about.

Truth is, you've got to be smoking some serious shit to be so high on
yourself..
Ohh.. I forgot you think you own these ASP newsgroups and your word is
gospel.
Mr. ASPFAQ, Mr. Argue, Mr. I live in the newsgroups

What you told him is flat out ignorant and I was trying to give the guy a
different perspective on the subject.

Even the person that makes the upload script known as "Pure ASP Upload" one
of the better running pure script based solutions I might add....sells a
component version as well called Huge Upload. Why, well in his words because
it can be up to 100 times faster in some situations.

http://www.pstruh.cz/help/scptutl/pa33.htm#hugepure
Notice this section...

"Pure-ASP upload is a VBS script, which uses only default IIS/windows
scripting objects - Scripting and ADODB library. So you do not need to
install any additional software. But the Pure-VBS code has also
Pure-Performance and it is very hungry for system resources - memory and
processor resources. The code has one more great characteristic - it is free
to use. You can use Pure-ASP upload when
- you need upload only small files (up to 100kB, exceptionally 1-2MB)
- your provider does not enable to install external components
- you have small number of concurrent uploads
Huge-ASP upload is a high-performance, low resources C++ component
with unique algorithm. The component is designed to accept forms of any size
(from bytes to gigabytes) with maximum eficiency. Please use Huge-ASP upload
in any other case."

Here is some additional info from another sites perspective.
http://developerfusion.com/show/1615/1/

Anybody with half a brain knows a good component based upload component can
totally outperform a purely script based solution.

Fact is...

People with attitudes like you have do more harm than good in these
newsgroups and discourage a lot of people from even coming back to the
newsgroups for assistance. To your credit the ASPFAQ site is a great
resource despite how biased you are on certain subjects.

Jeff Cochran

I despise installing third party software on my workstations or servers. It
is for this reason that I use componentless-upload for file uploads. This
is no longer an option, and I have to purchase an upload component. For
someone who hates third party software and also does not want any kind of
nonsense "bonus" features like progress bars or whatever, can anyone
recommend a component for me? The cost doesn't really matter. I am aware
of what components are out there, but I've never used any of them or paid
any attention to them. This'll go on a W2K Server. The first one that
comes to mind is ASP Upload, but only because that's the one I hear about
the most.

We use ASPUpload (and other Persits components) and it works great for
us. I'd love to say we did extensive testing and made the best
choice, but the price was reasonable and we bought it without doing
much more than downloading the tiral and installing it. It worked
first shot, so we stopped looking. :)

Waiting to see if ASP PDF is as useful for us...

Jeff

[...]

Truth is, you've got to be smoking some serious stuffto be so high on
[...]

Key words: *can* and *some.*

Did I ever say "pure ASP upload will outperform a component in every case?"
No, of course not.
People with attitudes like you have do more harm than good in these
newsgroups and discourage a lot of people from even coming back to the
newsgroups for assistance.

How about this for discouraging: blow it out your ass.

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

I just love these attitudes, where "method x is the best way, no exceptions,
etc etc blah blah." The same kind of attitude that makes one think that
DLLs are always faster than ASP code, that stored procedures are always
faster than ad hoc queries, and that <product x> is always faster than
<product y>. Sorry, but there are far more variables than x and y, and
there's more to the analysis than "I guess I don't know what I'm talking
about." Nothing like arguing with a 4th grader.

Fred Jones

Aaron... always running your mouth aren't cha ?

Method X and nothing else, ehh ?
Humm,,. Is that sorta like how for the past 4 years or so you basically told
people to never use MSAccess and to only use high end database servers for
every project ? Makes ya wonder how little Jimmy Chongs SQL Server Guestbook
is running on his site that gets 4 visitors a week ? Probably pretty damn
good I bet.

Ray, if you try out a quality component like ASPUpload you'll most likely
see improvements despite what Mr. Newsgroup says. Components are not limited
to using the default IIS/windows scripting objects and the ADODB library
like simple scripts are. They can function much more efficiently when it
comes to file uploading if done right.

Something serious like file uploading is a lot different than your average
use of a DLL in ASP in which case it's a whole different ballgame .

Why don't you let us know how it turns out ?

Chris Barber

An incredible thread!

What's the point in arguing between yourselves when none of you can provide
concrete evidence for any of the arguments. The original post [Ray] just
wanted to know about the available, 'reliable', upload components.
Most of them have been listed.
Why not just get an eval of all of them and *try* it to see which operates
fastest. Mind you, the speed is probably more to do with bandwidth from the
client than anything else. If the server has a 2Mb connection but the client
is on ADSL with 256kbps upload then the maximum upload from that client will
be about 25Kb/sec irrespective of what method is employed. I can't envisage
any scenario where the server would be significantly taxed receiving
25Kb/sec of upload irrespective of it being component or script based..
Maybe I'm missing the point but as a developer I'm a bit non-plussed by
everyone's attitude in this thread, brings to mind a school playground
slanging match.

My suggestion is that you all now focus on having a go at me for having the
gall to comment - a common enemy is always a good thing to get everyone
working together.

NB: I was following this thread since I've never done uploads but I'd like
to in the near future and I thought I might learn something. However, it
looks like I'll just have to get hold of them all and have a go myself to
see what's best for me - probably a component, not for speed, but for speed
and ease of development.

Cheers,

Chris.