C++ book recommendation

FC

Hi all:
I am looking for a C++ book that will help me take my skills to the next
level. My highest level of C++ education goes as far as the Data
Structures class in college. As part of a project for another class
(SystemC) I have to modify this code that is (as far as I know)
industrial grade code. And off course, I am having problems with it. I
do have the Stoutstrup (spelled right?) book, but I found it hard to
understand. May be I need something that will leave me ready for that
book. With that information in mind please recommend me a book.

Douglas Dou

FC said:
Hi all:
I am looking for a C++ book that will help me take my skills to the next
level. My highest level of C++ education goes as far as the Data
Structures class in college. As part of a project for another class
(SystemC) I have to modify this code that is (as far as I know)
industrial grade code. And off course, I am having problems with it. I
do have the Stoutstrup (spelled right?) book, but I found it hard to
understand. May be I need something that will leave me ready for that
book. With that information in mind please recommend me a book.

The second version of C++ Primer is a good start.

Doug

Karl Heinz Buchegger

FC said:
Hi all:
I am looking for a C++ book that will help me take my skills to the next
level. My highest level of C++ education goes as far as the Data
Structures class in college. As part of a project for another class
(SystemC) I have to modify this code that is (as far as I know)
industrial grade code. And off course, I am having problems with it. I
do have the Stoutstrup (spelled right?) book, but I found it hard to
understand. May be I need something that will leave me ready for that
book. With that information in mind please recommend me a book.

See the alt.comp.lang-learn.c-c++ FAQ for some recommendations.

http://ma.rtij.nl/acllc-c++.FAQ.html

Donovan Rebbechi

Hi all:
I am looking for a C++ book that will help me take my skills to the next
level. My highest level of C++ education goes as far as the Data
Structures class in college. As part of a project for another class
(SystemC) I have to modify this code that is (as far as I know)
industrial grade code. And off course, I am having problems with it. I
do have the Stoutstrup (spelled right?) book, but I found it hard to
understand. May be I need something that will leave me ready for that
book. With that information in mind please recommend me a book.

Stroustrup is a good book, but it's more of a reference.

I'd recommend these 3 books.

Accelerated C++ (Koenig/Moo)
Effective/More Effective C++ (Meyers)

Cheers,

Phlip

FC said:
I am looking for a C++ book that will help me take my skills to the next
level. My highest level of C++ education goes as far as the Data
Structures class in college. As part of a project for another class
(SystemC) I have to modify this code that is (as far as I know)
industrial grade code. And off course, I am having problems with it. I
do have the Stoutstrup (spelled right?) book, but I found it hard to
understand. May be I need something that will leave me ready for that
book. With that information in mind please recommend me a book.

Design Patterns
Refactoring
Test-Driven Development
Refactoring to Patterns.

Except most of them use Java. Forgive them - they know not what they do.

Darren

FC said:
Hi all:
I am looking for a C++ book that will help me take my skills to the next
level. My highest level of C++ education goes as far as the Data
Structures class in college. As part of a project for another class
(SystemC) I have to modify this code that is (as far as I know)
industrial grade code. And off course, I am having problems with it. I
do have the Stoutstrup (spelled right?) book, but I found it hard to
understand. May be I need something that will leave me ready for that
book. With that information in mind please recommend me a book.

I strongly recommend the C++ Primer (4th version). It is a really nice
beginning book. easy to understand and lots of examples

Tommaso Galleri

The second version of C++ Primer is a good start.
Doug

.... And of course the 3rd and 4th editions are even better, especially
because the 2nd edition was published in 1991 !

Tommaso Galleri

Ioannis Vranos

FC said:
Hi all:
I am looking for a C++ book that will help me take my skills to the next
level. My highest level of C++ education goes as far as the Data
Structures class in college. As part of a project for another class
(SystemC) I have to modify this code that is (as far as I know)
industrial grade code. And off course, I am having problems with it. I
do have the Stoutstrup (spelled right?) book, but I found it hard to
understand. May be I need something that will leave me ready for that
book. With that information in mind please recommend me a book.

http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys/learningcpp.htm

StepNRazor

Add
"Effective STL" (Scott Meyers) to the two earlier Meyers books.
Also Add
"Inside the Object Model" (Stanley Lippman)
His C++ blog posting.
http://blogs.msdn.com/slippman

A good UML book will go a long way also.
Heres one I like alot. Espeacily in undersatanding design patterns.
"Real time UML: Developing Efficient Objects for Embedded Systems"
(Bruce Powel Douglass)
Dont let the realtime or embedded reference throw you this is a good
UML book it also just happens to be a good real time embedded book.

Noit sure if your working on a windows platform if so you might want to
also add.
"Win32 System Services
The heart of windows 98 and windows 2000"
(Marshal Brain, Ron Reeves)

FC

A good UML book will go a long way also.
Heres one I like alot. Espeacily in undersatanding design patterns.
"Real time UML: Developing Efficient Objects for Embedded Systems"
(Bruce Powel Douglass)
Dont let the realtime or embedded reference throw you this is a good
UML book it also just happens to be a good real time embedded book.

hmm, thanks. I think I need to buy that book anyway for my embedded
systems class next semester.