C/C++ 64-bit compilers for Vista?

fermineutron

Could someone suggest a good C/C++ compiler for 64-bit vista premium?
1. I will code and run in 64 bit environment.
2. C99 support
3. I need access to more than 3.25 GB of RAM that 32 bit compilers
support.
4. I dont really care about GUIs, mostly will code number-crunching
non-gui apps.
5. I want an easy to use IDE, something simmilar to lcc.
6. If IDE supports line by line and function by function profiling of
C code it would be great but not required.
7. Needless to say compiler should not create retarded code... same
level of code, loop, optimization as can be expected from lcc or
equivalent.

The IDE does not have to be freeware.

Thanks ahead.

jacob navia

fermineutron said:
Could someone suggest a good C/C++ compiler for 64-bit vista premium?
1. I will code and run in 64 bit environment.
2. C99 support
3. I need access to more than 3.25 GB of RAM that 32 bit compilers
support.
4. I dont really care about GUIs, mostly will code number-crunching
non-gui apps.
5. I want an easy to use IDE, something simmilar to lcc.
6. If IDE supports line by line and function by function profiling of
C code it would be great but not required.
7. Needless to say compiler should not create retarded code... same
level of code, loop, optimization as can be expected from lcc or
equivalent.

The IDE does not have to be freeware.

Thanks ahead.

Hi fermineutron
lcc-win64:

Pros:

1) lcc-win 64 bits runs under VISTA 64 bits and windows XP 64 bits
2) Supports C99
3) You can access any kind of memory space (64 bit pointers)
4) Wedit runs under 64 bits with debugger etc.
5) The profiler is not yet ported to 64 bits
6) The generated code is faster than lcc-win

Cons:

Brand new compiler. There may be some problems, not in the
generated code but in the library and/or debugger.

Harold Aptroot

jacob navia said:
Hi fermineutron
lcc-win64:

Pros:

1) lcc-win 64 bits runs under VISTA 64 bits and windows XP 64 bits
2) Supports C99
3) You can access any kind of memory space (64 bit pointers)
4) Wedit runs under 64 bits with debugger etc.
5) The profiler is not yet ported to 64 bits
6) The generated code is faster than lcc-win

Cons:

Brand new compiler. There may be some problems, not in the
generated code but in the library and/or debugger.

How is 5 a pro?

Boon

fermineutron said:
Could someone suggest a good C/C++ compiler for 64-bit vista premium?
1. I will code and run in 64 bit environment.
2. C99 support
3. I need access to more than 3.25 GB of RAM that 32 bit compilers
support.
4. I dont really care about GUIs, mostly will code number-crunching
non-gui apps.
5. I want an easy to use IDE, something simmilar to lcc.
6. If IDE supports line by line and function by function profiling of
C code it would be great but not required.
7. Needless to say compiler should not create retarded code... same
level of code, loop, optimization as can be expected from lcc or
equivalent.

The IDE does not have to be freeware.

You'd have to ask in a Microsoft-specific group.
(e.g. comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32)

Keith Thompson

Do you want C or do you want C++, or both?

I ask because too many people refer to "C/C++" as if it were a single
language. You probably meant you want C *and* C++, but it would be
good to make that clearer. And comp.lang.c isn't the place to ask
about C++ compilers. (It's not necessarily the best place to ask
about C compilers either; see below.)

[requirements snipped]
Hi fermineutron
lcc-win64:

Pros:

1) lcc-win 64 bits runs under VISTA 64 bits and windows XP 64 bits
2) Supports C99

For certain values of "supports". lcc-win does not *fully* conform to
the C99 standard. If its level of conformance is good enough for you
(i.e., if you're willing to avoid the features that it doesn't
implement), then that's fine, but you'll need to be aware of the
issue.

You might also look into Intel's compiler. I don't know whether it
meets your requirements; you'll have to investigate that yourself.

Finally, comp.lang.c isn't necessarily the best place to ask about
this. A lot of us here are experts on the C programming language;
we're not necessarily experts on what compilers are available for
which systems. I understand that a lot of Windows programming experts
hang out in comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32; they're likely to be
able to give you better information than we can.