C++ cross platform development

Clark K

Hi all experts,

Perhaps this subject is OT here, if so please ignore this post!

I have developed a commercial application for the windows environment in C++
and it have come out good in this platform. Now I want to expand to the *nix
environment and I'm looking for a good cross platform development
environment in C++. I have examined wxwidget but it doesn't handle stl so I
don't think that's an option for me. I would really appreciate some input in
this subject.

Best Regards

Clark

Phlip

Clark said:
I have developed a commercial application for the windows environment in C++
and it have come out good in this platform. Now I want to expand to the *nix
environment and I'm looking for a good cross platform development
environment in C++. I have examined wxwidget but it doesn't handle stl so I
don't think that's an option for me. I would really appreciate some input in
this subject.

STL is part of C++. What conflict did wxWidgets show?

I recommend you port the non-GUI part of your application to GNU, first.
That will give you a platform portable between CygWin and Linux.

To let your program work without a GUI, write unit tests that do everything
a GUI would have done. The ideal is, when you paint a GUI over this layer,
all the input events from button clicks will delegate instantly to this
GUI-free layer.

During that effort, investigate FOX, FLTK, TCL/Tk, Gtk+, Qt. At least one
will tickle you. Qt has many fine points, so read /C++ GUI Programming with
Qt 3/.

If you relentless decouple things, and test them in isolation, the effort of
painting a GUI over your logical code should then be very easy.

Victor Bazarov

Clark K said:
Perhaps this subject is OT here, if so please ignore this post!

Sorry, no. I f it's OT, we have to let you know it's OT. Otherwise how
would you and others learn what's OT and what's not OT?
I have developed a commercial application for the windows environment in
C++ and it have come out good in this platform. Now I want to expand to
the *nix environment and I'm looking for a good cross platform development
environment in C++. I have examined wxwidget but it doesn't handle stl

WTF does it mean that "it doesn't handle stl"?
so I don't think that's an option for me. I would really appreciate some
input in this subject.

There are several GUI toolkits that exist on more than one platform. None
are really on topic here since they don't represent a C++ _language_ issue.
The best place to ask about them would be the platform of your choice. If
you want to target Unix, choose which Unix, and ask there. If you want to
target Linux, ask in comp.os.linux.development.apps. There have also been
several exchanges here, so do check http://groups.google.com/ for the past
discussions on this topic.

Taras

[...]

you may use crossplatform libraries with mingw32 and your
program will be quite well compiled for win32 (without cygwin
layer) and also on *nix systems.
(gtk+ has a C++ frontend "gtkmm". It is done with supporting
many C++ features in mind.)

Kurt Stutsman

Victor said:
WTF does it mean that "it doesn't handle stl"?
Actually, according to their documentation, it "handles" STL just fine. The
fact is they don't *use* STL. It says point blank somewhere in their docs that
you're free to use the STL for whatever you want, but you must use their
containers when interfacing with their API.

msalters

Kurt said:
Actually, according to their documentation, it "handles" STL just fine. The
fact is they don't *use* STL. It says point blank somewhere in their docs that
you're free to use the STL for whatever you want, but you must use their
containers when interfacing with their API.

And how does that stop you from writing iterators for their containers?
Once you have those, you pretty much get <algorithm> for free.
Containers are trivial, iterators a bit harder but the real value of
the STL is in <algorithm> (and in ease of adaptation - once you have
that wxIterators.h done, copying to other containers is easy etc. )

HTH,
Michiel Salters