Caching ascx control (2.0)

Tomasz J

Hello Developers,

Is it possible to vary ascx control cache base on that control's public
property.
My control has a public Color property, and I want to vary cache based this
property, rather than any particular contained control or query parameter.
Thank you for any hints.

Tomasz J

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Tomasz,

From your description, you'd like to cache an ascx userconttrol on your
page and also control the cache period through a certain property of the
control, correct?

So far based on my understanding, the usercontrol cache will support the
following cache conditions:

*VaryByCustom
*VaryByHeader
*VaryByParam
*VaryByControl

#@ OutputCache
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hdxfb6cy(VS.71).aspx

#Caching Portions of an ASP.NET Page
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/h30h475z(VS.71).aspx

and for your scenario, I think you may consider store the Color property
into a certain control's property and set that control via the
"VaryByControl" condition. How do you think?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------

Tomasz J

Thanks,

Well, Color was just an example - not the best one, since many controls have
this property.
Let's say that my ascx control has one custom property:

public string MyCustomProperty {get; set;}

and it contains Literal controls only.

I need to cache a different version of my control for every MyCustomProperty
value.

Tomasz

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Tomasz,

Yes, the property on which you want to cache depend may vary, however,
since you'd like to adopt the built-in cache feature, you may try mappijng
your property value to one of those possible cache parameters(http get/get
value, Control property, ....).

Originally, I've thought about two means:

1. use an additional hidden TextBox control in the usercontrol(which
contains your certain custom property value) so that cache can rely on it.

2. You can programmatically use code to add some flag(your custom control's
value into cookie) and use the "VaryByCustom" option to programmatically
read cookie collection to determine how to cache, here is a article about
this:

http://codebetter.com/blogs/darrell.norton/archive/2004/05/04/12724.aspx

From: "Tomasz J" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Caching ascx control (2.0)