caching files

Matthijs Blaas

Hi All,

Is it possible to have files I download from my applet get cached (in the
jvm cache or browser cache)? I have an applet that itself loads very quick,
but it needs external data files which I've put in an jar. I load this jar
at runtime, that way the applet loads quick and displays the progress to the
user. I load this jar over an urlconnection (setCache(true)) but it doesnt
seem to cache the jar file. This results in long download times each time
the applet is run and MUCH more bandwidth which costs me alot of $.

I found a RFC / bug report on this:
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do;:WuuT?bug_id=4528599
But that one seems to deal with images only(?)... Is anyone aware of a
workaround for this problem?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I know i can add the jar to the applet/object archive param, which will
cache the jar. But then I can't display the loading progress, and as the
data jar is very big users think the applet doesnt load.