Calling (but not including) a ruby script

Christopher

Hello,

Right now I'm working on a project where I need to authenticate users
against /etc/shadow without authenticating against a mail server or
anything through http authentication.

I have a ruby script that expects a username and password text string,
encrypts the password part of it, and then compares it to /etc/shadow.
It spits out a 1, 2, or 3, depending on if the user is authenticated,
has provided the wrong password, or does not exist at all.

I'd like for the first ruby script (the authentication web-script) to
be able to call that second ruby script without having it run as the
www-data apache2 user or including the file. What is the syntax for
such a call?

Also, related to this, I am of course open to better ways of
authenticating system users, but I can't really sort out a better
method that doesn't involve mirroring /etc/shadow (minus the root user)
to a database of some sort.

Cheers,
Christopher

monitor

Would using backticks do the job? Ie `ruby /path/script args`

cheers
(e-mail address removed)
[...]

Timothy Goddard

In a recent thread
(http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/c5417d4ac8e5c6ca/23f1fa7663cd8417)
it was explained why accessing /etc/shadow directly should not even be
possible on a reasonably secure computer. Don't do this!

You can use a separate login database or use something like ruby-pam or
kerberos to do the authentication. Using /etc/shadow from any non-root
user account defeats its purpose though and running any web application
as root is just asking to have your system compromised.