Calling COM object from webservice..

Don In Phoenix

Hi all,

I've created a VB.net winforms app that connects to Visual Sourcesafe and
pulls infomation out of it.

That was just a proof of concept and now I'm working to move the
functionality to a VB.net webservice.

I've read the PAG doc on 'Improving Interop Performance' but it's a bit
disheartening.

Essentially it states that you shouldn't call COM from a .net webservice,
but that's the only way I know of to hook into VSS.

Currently I'm able to connect to VSS with the service the first time, but
invoking my method a second time results in a timeout when I try to open the
database object.

I've wrapped my code in a try..catch..finally, with
"System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(VSSdb)" in the
finally. This call returns 0 which from what I understand means that VSSdb is
gone by the end of the first run thru.

So why am I getting a timeout on the second try?

Note that doing an IISReset makes the timeout go away...

Any help would be great, let me know if I can dig up more info...