Can BackImageUrl cause a double hop?

Jim Corey

We have a BigIP F5 switch as the load balancer for two servers.
I'm using Windows Authentication on an intranet.

When I'm in the application and refresh the screen, I get prompted for a
network login (this is the only time this happens).

I believe that the offending
code is an ASP.NET panel control which includes a BackImageUrl element
which renders like this:

Could the use of a url here cause a double hop situation?

BTW, I don't get the problem when I connect directly to one of the
servers.

TIA,
Jim

Jouni Heikniemi

I believe that the offending
code is an ASP.NET panel control which includes a BackImageUrl element
which renders like this:
Could the use of a url here cause a double hop situation?

Rather unlikely, but surely you can test that easily by removing the url
reference. I've played with a similar configuration quite a bit; the usual
reason for double login requirements comes from accidental references to
https resources or any operation where IIS might actually use the real name
for the computer (instead of the dns name pointed at the load balancer).

Jim Corey

Thanks,

But neither of those situations apply here.

It's really quite maddening. I was able to recreate the
problem with a test application and then by removing
the url reference the problem went away.

But in the actual app I have other href references which
(I guess) also cause the problem.

I don't have access to the F5 switch myself so I'm unaware
if it has any configuration options.