Can I encrypt aspx code?

Brett

Say I develop an application that has an SQL Server 2000 back end with
ASP.NET front end. All the business logic is in the aspx pages. I want to
sell this as a package that some one can install on their server or even
desktop (replace SQL Server with MSDE). I don't want people reverse
engineering the logic inside of the aspx pages. Is there a way to prevent
this?

Also, I could probably put most all of the logic inside of a VB.NET EXE.
There would still need to be some logic in the aspx pages so I can't
completely get away from it. Any suggestions on a good method for this?

Thanks,
Brett

Michel de Becdelièvre

How about putting the business logic in the compiled code behind ? Or better
in a library called by code behind or aspx ?

then you can use one of several JIT obfuscator to make reverse engeneering
harder.

The whole point of aspx is that it is compiled "at first call".

Brett

I'm new to ASP.NET. What are the file extensions that the compiled code
behind is stored in? Are you referring to ASP.NET or VB.NET code when you
say compiled?

When you say library, are you referring to say a VB.NET DLL that the aspx
pages create an object for?

Can you elaborate on this a little more: "then you can use one of several
JIT obfuscator to make reverse engeneering harder." Would this have any
performance hit?

Thanks,
Brett

Brett

Thanks. That's pretty neat. Have you used that program?

What will .NET 2.0 offer in this way? Also, when will it be released?

It will probably be a while until I will upgrade to .NET 2.0 since the first
version will probably be a little rough around the edges.

Brett

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I'm guessing September 25th for the beta 2

That seems rather far away...

Ken Cox said:
Hi Brett,

Check the details here on compilation in ASP.NET 2.0:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/w...us/dnvs05/html/internals.asp#internals_topic3

As for the release, my guess is late fall for the final release. I'm
guessing September 25th for the beta 2 which should include a "Go Live"
option.

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Brett said:
Thanks. That's pretty neat. Have you used that program?

What will .NET 2.0 offer in this way? Also, when will it be released?

It will probably be a while until I will upgrade to .NET 2.0 since the
first version will probably be a little rough around the edges.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Oops. I mean to guess April 25th for beta 2. My guess for the final release
is late fall.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

In ASP.NET 2.0 you'll be able to compile your ASPX files directly into the
DLL, so that should solve your problem.
It's rumored beta 2 will will be out later this month.

Brett

Will it be worth it to upgrade to 2.0 beta? I think it is risky but there
isn't any other way to compile the aspx files into DLLs.

Will I need to change any code to work with 2.0 beta?

thanks,
Brett

Brett said:
Thanks. That's pretty neat. Have you used that program?

What will .NET 2.0 offer in this way? Also, when will it be released?

It will probably be a while until I will upgrade to .NET 2.0 since the
first version will probably be a little rough around the edges.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

The code should work with the 2.0 beta given that backwards compatibility
was a priority.

The problem is that you'll need to have the beta on the server and then
upgrade/rebuild for the release. I'd wait a few more days to check on the
stability of the 2.0 beta.

Brett said:
Thanks. That's pretty neat. Have you used that program?

What will .NET 2.0 offer in this way? Also, when will it be released?

It will probably be a while until I will upgrade to .NET 2.0 since the
first version will probably be a little rough around the edges.

Brett

Will people running my ASP.NET app also need 2.0? That will be an issue as
most will want to stay with a more stable 1.1.

Brett

Ken Cox said:
Hi Brett,

Check the details here on compilation in ASP.NET 2.0:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/w...us/dnvs05/html/internals.asp#internals_topic3

As for the release, my guess is late fall for the final release. I'm
guessing September 25th for the beta 2 which should include a "Go Live"
option.

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Thanks. That's pretty neat. Have you used that program?

What will .NET 2.0 offer in this way? Also, when will it be released?

It will probably be a while until I will upgrade to .NET 2.0 since the
first version will probably be a little rough around the edges.

Juan T. Llibre

No. They'll only need a browser.
( If you're talking about web applications... )

For Windows apps, they'd need the 2.0 framework, too.

Brett said:
[...]

I'm referring to some one installing the ASP.NET app on their Win Server.
If I developed it in 2.0, seems as though they would need 2.0 to run it
correct?

Brett said:
[...]

In that case, yes, they'll need to have the 2.0 Framework installed.

Ken Cox said:
The code should work with the 2.0 beta given that backwards
compatibility was a priority.

The problem is that you'll need to have the beta on the server and then
upgrade/rebuild for the release. I'd wait a few more days to check on
the stability of the 2.0 beta.

Will it be worth it to upgrade to 2.0 beta? I think it is risky but
there isn't any other way to compile the aspx files into DLLs.

Will I need to change any code to work with 2.0 beta?

thanks,
Brett
message Hi Brett,

Check the details here on compilation in ASP.NET 2.0:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/w...us/dnvs05/html/internals.asp#internals_topic3

As for the release, my guess is late fall for the final release. I'm
guessing September 25th for the beta 2 which should include a "Go
Live" option.

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Thanks. That's pretty neat. Have you used that program?

What will .NET 2.0 offer in this way? Also, when will it be
released?

It will probably be a while until I will upgrade to .NET 2.0 since
the first version will probably be a little rough around the edges.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

The Web server will need to run the same build of 2.0 that you compiled
with. That's where things get messy since it will be a beta and some people
shy away from installing betas.