Simple database front-end for simple small business

Joined
Apr 17, 2021
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I run a small language school and I have a database with language students’ details: names, contact details, ages, lesson times, dob, fees, fee due dates and the like.

I set up a MySQL online database years ago, wrote php/html pages (from a book) and uploaded them to the server. I use these to input/edit student details, move leavers to another table (I realise now that isn’t necessary), get various lists (next month’s birthdays, fees, lesson registers, etc.) and show reports such as fees due each month, students graduating their normal schools next April, etc. It also archives student numbers according to their school grades at the end of each month (which is the 3rd table in my set-up).

So basically the equivalent of spreadsheets with various reports available at the click of a button.

However, the latest PHP update has me giving up trying to learn how to update all those files and I’m resigned to letting it all go once my hosting company switch off the current PHP version. So I’m looking for a simple front-end that I can use to replace this. I looked at LibreOffice Base and it just seems overkill and a time sink for what I want. I was suicidal after getting through the first chapter of the manual. I’m busy running the school and don’t have the time, intelligence nor inclination to be a programmer, too…

So does anyone have any suggestions what my best plan of action would be? Two of us use the db, not always in the same place, so I want to continue with everything online. Oh, and we use Macs.

Joined
Apr 17, 2021
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Update: Looks like there isn’t much out there so I’ve started to recode my existing files. Long job but probably the easiest option.

Joined
Apr 17, 2021
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Thanks, sunfighter. The error reporting does make it easy, though it's a nuisance when that's the only time you ever look at any code. But if I sit down and get on with it, momentum takes hold and it gets easier. Though sometimes I want to tear my hair out. Yesterday I was sitting here completely flummoxed wondering why it was saying the semicolon at the end of an Include statement was wrong. After much research on the internet, I realised I had one too few ')'...

Joined
Nov 27, 2019
Messages
163
Reaction score
28
Perantine, things are easer to find if you get a free code editor that would point that out to you with color markings I use VSCoder and before that notepad++. Both are free and could save some time. The same goes for indenting.

Joined
Jul 3, 2021
Messages
37
Reaction score
2
There are many front ends for MySQL databases. I tend to just use MySQL Workbench.

It lets you run queries, produce views, generate PDF reports, draw diagrams, etc.

Others:

* Microsoft (Office) Access
* phpMyAdmin
* SQuirreL SQL Client

Joined
Jul 12, 2020
Messages
89
Reaction score
9
I'd switch hosts. Coding languages are constantly changing faster than individual coders can keep up because of the number of people working in the different processing areas of the languages itself such as php. Good hosting companies understand that their clients cannot adapt as fast as the languages change so they allow their clients the option to use older versions of php until they can catch up.