Can .NET Windows application run on any OS with .NET framework?

Matthew Louden

Can .NET Windows application run on any OS with .NET framework? Can we
install .NET framework on non-windows machine?? Like run Java applications
on JVM??

Please advise! Thanks!

Phillip H. Blanton [CsTeam]

Jan said:
The Microsoft .NET Framework (= VM) runs only on Windows machines. Although
there are open source initiatives that are porting .NET to Linux
(http://www.go-mono.com/).

There's also the (open source) Rotor framework for BSD (Open or free, I
forget). the difference is that the Rotor implementation is restricted
by license to experimental, non-commercial use.

Microsoft's Rotor site:
http://tinyurl.com/z3by

I used tinyurl because the Microsoft url was a bit longish and will wrap
badly. If you fear the tiny url, the original one is...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/mssharsourcecli.asp

Here is a link to the Rotor project site:
http://www.sscli.net/

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

Just for clarity, the Mono project is not "porting .NET to Linux".
It is not a port - the Mono project does not have access to .NET source code
from Microsoft. It is apparently a fresh implementation, according to the
Mono web page.

disclaimer: I'm not involved in the Mono project.

-Dino

Rich

Dino Chiesa said:
Just for clarity, the Mono project is not "porting .NET to Linux".
It is not a port - the Mono project does not have access to .NET source code
from Microsoft. It is apparently a fresh implementation, according to the
Mono web page.

disclaimer: I'm not involved in the Mono project.

-Dino

Hi, I was after some clarity on this as well, so applications written in say
C# would have to be written for non specific windows code in order to run on
a non Windows platform, similar to C/C++ where each platform will provide
it's own libraries for gui's etc.

Or have I completely misunderstood the concept of .Net and it will only run
on Windows, as I have read somewhere that there are ports of dotNet for Mac
and Linux ???

Joe

Basically its the same thing like with java. Java only runs on machines
which have a JVM for its operation system. NET runs on any machine which
has a NET JIT compiler plus the framework classes installed.

The main problem are usually windows forms, which are NOT included on
Rotor and only runin MONO (untilt now) using WINE.

Joe Robe