    Can we do it? How to do it?

    Is there any alternative way to do it?

    David

    Guest, Aug 24, 2005

    Lucas Tam Guest

    You can run a .NET applet (i.e. Java) within the web browser. This is
    called Winforms Hosting in IE. However, I found Winforms in IE to be hard
    to configure and buggy...

    Otherwise you CAN launch a client side process if you have the proper
    permissions. I've done it before. You do it through VBScripting using the
    WSHShell object. Using WSHShell is only fesible if this is a trusted
    Intranet application.

    Lucas Tam, Aug 24, 2005

  3. David,

    Consider using an ActiveX control.

    Eliyahu

    Eliyahu Goldin, Aug 24, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Thank both of you.

    I never use WSHShell. Any example about how using it.

    Java Applet may not spawn any application in client side. As you said, we
    perhaps have some security permision of access of the application. How to
    setup this permision (i.e., executable for everyone?).

    Thanks

    David
    Dabin

    Guest, Aug 25, 2005

    Lucas Tam Guest

    To use the Wscript.Shell object, Internet Explorer must have "Initialize
    Script and ActiveX controls not marked as safe" set from Disabled to
    Enabled. This can be done from the menu: Tools -> Internet Options ->
    Security -> Custom Level

    Here is an example on how to use the run method:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
    us/script56/html/wsmthrun.asp

    Lucas Tam, Aug 25, 2005