can web browser spawn specific applicaion process at client side?

Guest

It seems that it can not do it due to security.

My boss believes that .NET ASP web form application can spawn a local
application at the client computer via web browser.

Can we do it? How to do it?

Is there any alternative way to do it?

David

Lucas Tam

It seems that it can not do it due to security.

My boss believes that .NET ASP web form application can spawn a local
application at the client computer via web browser.

Can we do it? How to do it?

You can run a .NET applet (i.e. Java) within the web browser. This is
called Winforms Hosting in IE. However, I found Winforms in IE to be hard
to configure and buggy...

Otherwise you CAN launch a client side process if you have the proper
permissions. I've done it before. You do it through VBScripting using the
WSHShell object. Using WSHShell is only fesible if this is a trusted
Intranet application.

Guest

Thank both of you.

I never use WSHShell. Any example about how using it.

Java Applet may not spawn any application in client side. As you said, we
perhaps have some security permision of access of the application. How to
setup this permision (i.e., executable for everyone?).

Thanks

David
Dabin

Lucas Tam

Thank both of you.

I never use WSHShell. Any example about how using it.

Java Applet may not spawn any application in client side. As you said,
we perhaps have some security permision of access of the application.
How to setup this permision (i.e., executable for everyone?).

To use the Wscript.Shell object, Internet Explorer must have "Initialize
Script and ActiveX controls not marked as safe" set from Disabled to
Enabled. This can be done from the menu: Tools -> Internet Options ->
Security -> Custom Level

Here is an example on how to use the run method:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
us/script56/html/wsmthrun.asp