Can you share session state with parent project

Bill Reynen

Hello,

Working in ASP.NET. I want to create several projects on the web server

/Online

/Online/App1
/Online/App2
/Online/App3

The /Online project will handle all of the user authentication and present
them with a list of applications they can access (App1, App2, App3)

/Online/App1, App2, and App3 are separate projects but I want them to be
able to access the session variables defined in /Online. Is it possible to
share the session information between the projects?

Thanks

Bill Reynen

Kevin Spencer

The real question is not that of projects, which are Visual Studio.Net
entities, but of Web Applications. In IIS, an Application is defined by the
configuration of the web server directory in which the files and folders
that constitute the Application reside. When you create an ASP.Net Project
in Visual Studio.Net, it creates an Application for you in the web folder in
which your Project files reside. However, you can certainly deploy multiple
"projects" into the same Application. The tricky part is the web.config
files. There can only be one root web.config file, although each folder in
the Application can have a web.config file in it, as long as that web.config
file doesn't have any "machine-to-application" configuration elements in it.
Details about this can be found at the following URL:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...-us/cpguide/html/cpconASPNETConfiguration.asp

If you plan to combine these Applications, you can certainly do so by
removing the Application configuration from each sub-folder. Again, however,
remember that it can be tricky to set this up after developing each part as
a separate project. For example, all DLLs must be placed in the same (root)
bin folder. And there may be complications arising from the way you
structured each separate project when you developed it.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer