Canceling file or directory deletion in .NET

Tony

Hi there,

Is there any event you can catch that would you allow to cancel the
deletion of a file or directory. The FileSystemEventHandler allows you
to catch file operations after they have occurred but I need to be
able to catch it before it occurs. Does anyone know a way of doing
this?

Thanks,

Tony

Howard

Tony said:
Hi there,

Is there any event you can catch that would you allow to cancel the
deletion of a file or directory. The FileSystemEventHandler allows you
to catch file operations after they have occurred but I need to be
able to catch it before it occurs. Does anyone know a way of doing
this?

Thanks,

Hi Tony,

please ignore the response by Tommy McDaniel...it was as rude as they get.
(Also, please ignore the rants of "perseus", who apparently has the day off
from junior high and nothing better to do.) But to get a good answer to
your question, you'll need to post it to a microsoft-specific newsgroup.
Check the news.microsoft.com news server for available .NET groups...there
are plenty. (By the way, if you are not in control of the deletions in the
first place, my guess is that you won't be able to intercept them until they
happen....but as I said it's just my guess.)

-Howard

Christoph Rabel

Tony said:
Is there any event you can catch that would you allow to cancel the
deletion of a file or directory. The FileSystemEventHandler allows you
to catch file operations after they have occurred but I need to be
able to catch it before it occurs. Does anyone know a way of doing
this?

Your question has nothing to do with C++, but with a
specific library and OS.
You have better chances in getting an answer in

microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc

or maybe in one of the

microsoft.public.vc.*

groups.

I have never heard about this FileSystemEventHandler
function, so I cant really tell which of this ng's suits
your needs best.

greets,

Christoph

Socketd

On 12 Aug 2003 13:53:42 -0700
(e-mail address removed) (Tony) wrote in message

Now just what in the crap does that have to do with Standard C++?

No no, that is NOT the way to say it!

Tony, you post is OT, you should ask in a .NET newsgroup, this is a
group for standard C++ and .NET is not standard C++.

br
socketd

Tommy McDaniel

Howard said:
Hi Tony,

please ignore the response by Tommy McDaniel...it was as rude as they get.
(Also, please ignore the rants of "perseus", who apparently has the day off
from junior high and nothing better to do.) But to get a good answer to
your question, you'll need to post it to a microsoft-specific newsgroup.
Check the news.microsoft.com news server for available .NET groups...there
are plenty. (By the way, if you are not in control of the deletions in the
first place, my guess is that you won't be able to intercept them until they
happen....but as I said it's just my guess.)

-Howard

No claim was made that it was not rude. Nevertheless, telling someone
to ignore everyone else so that you can say basically the same thing
but in a much more long-winded manner is just brilliant. I'm all for
being polite, but there's a point (like, oh, say, when half the
fricking page for the newsgroup as displayed by Google Groups is taken
up by people talking about all kinds of crap that bear no importance
whatsoever to the topic of the stinking newsgroup) where one starts to
lose patience over .Net questions in a Standard C++ newsgroup.

Tommy McDaniel

Howard

Tommy McDaniel said:
"Howard" <[email protected]> wrote in message

No claim was made that it was not rude. Nevertheless, telling someone
to ignore everyone else so that you can say basically the same thing
but in a much more long-winded manner is just brilliant. I'm all for
being polite, but there's a point (like, oh, say, when half the
fricking page for the newsgroup as displayed by Google Groups is taken
up by people talking about all kinds of crap that bear no importance
whatsoever to the topic of the stinking newsgroup) where one starts to
lose patience over .Net questions in a Standard C++ newsgroup.

Tommy McDaniel

My, my...a little touchy, aren't we! Let me guess...you've been reading
that crap from perseus? :) In case you haven't read your own response, it
does *not* say the same thing as mine. I suggested (in a couple sentences,
not in a any long-winded fashion) exactly where he might find the help he
desired. You replied with profanity, and no explanation at all. And your
response only makes sense if the OP knows (in advance) that his topic was,
well, off-topic. Despite what many say here, newbies in general have no
idea that there even *is* an FAQ page until they are told so. If I walked
into a hardware store and asked where the milk was, and you responded by
asking "what in the crap milk has to do with hardware", you'd be looking for
a fight, or at least a well-aimed finger. You *might* consider giving
newbies a break, once at least, and either being polite in your response or
ignoring their post altogether. There is absolutely NO reason to snap his
head off like that. (At least not until they start acting like our dear
friend perseus.)

-Howard

Tommy McDaniel

Howard said:
My, my...a little touchy, aren't we! Let me guess...you've been reading
that crap from perseus? :)

Not really, although I've seen all the threads. Time is too scarce a
resource to waste your time on crap like that.
You replied with profanity, and no explanation at all.

Uh, unless "crap" is now profanity, you're just making stuff up. And I
did explain that comp.lang.c++ wasn't the group for your .Net needs,
whether you like how I expressed it or not.
And your response only makes sense if the OP knows (in advance) that his topic
was, well, off-topic.

The fact that this is comp.lang.c++ and not comp.lang..net should have
alerted him to the fact that he was off-topic.
Despite what many say here, newbies in general have no idea that there even
*is* an FAQ page until they are told so.

You don't need the FAQ to read the sign that says comp.lang.c++.
If I walked into a hardware store and asked where the milk was, and you
responded by asking "what in the crap milk has to do with hardware", you'd be
looking for a fight, or at least a well-aimed finger.

And yet, if half of everybody that came through my hardware store was
asking for milk, you'd not only probably get a response similar to the
one you just mentioned, but I might not care too much about the
consequences either.
You *might* consider giving newbies a break, once at least, and either being
polite in your response or ignoring their post altogether.

As I usually am, those times that I don't ignore them, which I almost
always do. I already explained to you the cause for my attitude in
this instance, although I must admit that I'm getting just about sick
of all the .Net questions here.
There is absolutely NO reason to snap his head off like that.

Sure there was, just not necessarily the best one in your opinion.
Until robots start visiting newsgroups, you're going to have to deal
with humans and their limited patience.
(At least not until they start acting like our dear friend perseus.)

Hmm, getting people's private information is easy these days, just cry
"copyright violation," no proof needed or anything. I'm all for
forming a comp.lang.c++ mob, going to his house, and beating him with
a stick in his own yard.

Tommy McDaniel

Tony

Christoph Rabel said:
Your question has nothing to do with C++, but with a
specific library and OS.
You have better chances in getting an answer in

microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc

or maybe in one of the

microsoft.public.vc.*

groups.

I have never heard about this FileSystemEventHandler
function, so I cant really tell which of this ng's suits
your needs best.

greets,

Christoph

thanks for the GENUINE reponses. i must admit that i posted the
original question quite quickly and did not realize there was a better
category for it.

thanks to those of you trying to point me in the right direction...and
to the others, you need to take a break.

tony