cannot install scipy

nitro

Hi,

I am using a Debian system. I installed NumPy and everything works
well. When I try to install SciPy, I get the following error. Any help
would be appreciated.

===
idf@server1:~/scipy/scipy-0.4.4$ python setup.py install
import core -> failed:
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so: undefined
symbol: PyOS_ascii_strtod
import random -> failed: 'module' object has no attribute 'dtype'
import lib -> failed:
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so: undefined
symbol: PyOS_ascii_strtod
Fatal Python error: can't initialize module lapack_lite
Aborted
idf@server1:~/scipy/scipy-0.4.4$
===

nitro

John M. Gabriele

nitro said:
Hi,

I am using a Debian system. I installed NumPy and everything works
well. When I try to install SciPy, I get the following error. Any help
would be appreciated.

===
idf@server1:~/scipy/scipy-0.4.4$ python setup.py install
import core -> failed:
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so: undefined
symbol: PyOS_ascii_strtod
import random -> failed: 'module' object has no attribute 'dtype'
import lib -> failed:
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so: undefined
symbol: PyOS_ascii_strtod
Fatal Python error: can't initialize module lapack_lite
Aborted
idf@server1:~/scipy/scipy-0.4.4$
===

nitro

Why not just "apt-get install python-scipy"?

That's one of the best parts of running Debian. :)

---J

nitro

I just ran

and had one test fail - any ideas?

FAIL: check_cdf
(scipy.stats.distributions.test_distributions.test_fatiguelife)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 10, in check_cdf
AssertionError: D = 0.359837284568; pval = 0.000275693346129; alpha =
0.01
args = (1.0108978152946058,)

nitro

I should add the following informtion that it also printed out:

===
Ran 972 tests in 2.471s

FAILED (failures=1)

<unittest.TextTestRunner object at 0x40fc4dcc>
===

Robert Kern

nitro said:
Hi,

I am using a Debian system. I installed NumPy and everything works
well. When I try to install SciPy, I get the following error. Any help
would be appreciated.

===
idf@server1:~/scipy/scipy-0.4.4$ python setup.py install
import core -> failed:
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so: undefined
symbol: PyOS_ascii_strtod
import random -> failed: 'module' object has no attribute 'dtype'
import lib -> failed:
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so: undefined
symbol: PyOS_ascii_strtod
Fatal Python error: can't initialize module lapack_lite
Aborted
idf@server1:~/scipy/scipy-0.4.4$

The extension modules got linked wrong, somehow, and aren't linked with the
Python shared library. I've never seen that particular error, though. I'd be
happy to help you through this on (e-mail address removed) . We
will probably need to see the output of the numpy build.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Robert Kern

John said:
Why not just "apt-get install python-scipy"?

That's one of the best parts of running Debian. :)

It's also one of the worst parts of running Debian (speaking as a happy
once-Debian-now-Ubuntu user). In this case, python-scipy is a pretty ancient
version of scipy using the old Numeric, and not the new numpy.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Travis Oliphant

Actually, the numpy install did not go well. Try

from a standard Python shell.

It looks like you are using Python 2.3 and NumPy 0.9.4 built without the
required Python 2.3 patch.

-Travis