can't create web app in visual studio

moverdear

I have seen several post with people with the same problem, but nothing
fixes my problem. I have a web app on my desktop and I want to
transfer it to a laptop to travel to the customer site. I have loaded
IIS 5.1, visual studio 2003. When I try and create a project, I get
the error,
The default web access mode for this project is set to file share,
but the project folder at 'http://'hostname'/wwwroot$/projectname'
cannot be opened with the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\projectname'. The
error returned was:
Unable to create web project ';wwwroot$/projectname'. The file
path 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\projectname' does not correspond to the URL
'http://hostname/wwwroot$/crap'. The two need to map to the same
server location. HTTP Error 404: Not found.

I have tried about everything I have found. I followed this link,
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...rosoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q320265

It didn't work for me. I am doing everything on my one box. I have
moved this project to another box before and had problems, but not this
one. I haven't even gotten to the point of using my other project, I
am just trying to create a blank web app. I have the wwwroot as a
share with the vs developers group having full control. I have been
messing with this for 2 days now, trying different things. I am not
experienced at .NET enough that I've had to move the project around, I
have developed on my desktop which I did not have this problem.

What do I need to try? All help is greatly appreciated!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Copy the files into the virtual directory.
Open VIsual Studio
Check Open website
Pick from IIS and choose the web
Save the solution file

You should be fine after this. Do not open the solution file unless you
either:

a) edit it to reflect an IIS web
b) put the files in the same location as they were originally and use as a
file based web

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside of the box!

moverdear

Thx for the reply, but sorry, I don't fully understand what u said to
do.
I copied the vs project into the virtual directory, opened VS.
From there, I don't see where to 'check open website'. I tried open
project from web and file from web in VS. Did't work, got this error:
Unable to open web project 'projectname', The file path
'C:\inetpub/wwwroot/projectname' does not correspond to the URL
'http://Localhost:/projectname'. The two need to map to the same
server location. HTTP error 404.
NOTE the ':' at the local host. It defaults to port 80, but I'm
actually using port 81 b/c Oracle already had 80. Where do I specify
this?

I'm not even sure this is where u wanted to 'Check Open website'. I
couldn't find that in IIS or VS anywhere, or anywhere to 'Pick from IIS
and choose the web'.
If this does work, what happens if I want to create a new web app?
What is my problem there? Thx for the help so far.

moverdear

I cannot browse the directory using http://machinename. That actually
takes me to Oracle b/c oracle is on port 80. So, I put in
http://machinename:81, but it won't display anything either. What
needs to be done to view this. I'm sure they are related, but I have
tried everything that I know to do