Cell background image does not display on some pages

Nick Iredale

For some reason I can't work out, the background image at the head of
some pages at http://www.fuorimano.net does not show when viewed using
IE (I haven't been informed which version) on a Mac.

The pages with the problem are
http://www.fuorimano.net/stanze.htm
http://www.fuorimano.net/attiviti.htm
http://www.fuorimano.net/rooms.htm and
http://www.fuorimano.net/activities.htm

AFAIK the rest of the pages display as intended.

The background to the cell is set in the main css file:

td.head {
padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
width: 700px;
background: #336633 url(../images/head.jpg) no-repeat top;
height: 45px;
vertical-align: top;
}

The pages with the problem have a link to an external JavaScript, but I
don't see why this should affect it. Is it a bug in IE for Mac? Any
one any ideas how to work round it?

Richard

Nick said:
For some reason I can't work out, the background image at the head of
some pages at http://www.fuorimano.net does not show when viewed using
IE (I haven't been informed which version) on a Mac.
AFAIK the rest of the pages display as intended.
The background to the cell is set in the main css file:
td.head {
padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
width: 700px;
background: #336633 url(../images/head.jpg) no-repeat top;
height: 45px;
vertical-align: top;
}
The pages with the problem have a link to an external JavaScript, but I
don't see why this should affect it. Is it a bug in IE for Mac? Any
one any ideas how to work round it?

Should be:

background: #336633 url("/images/head.jpg") no-repeat top;

The two dots are not required but the quotes are.

rf

Richard said:
Should be:

background: #336633 url("/images/head.jpg") no-repeat top;

The two dots are not required but the quotes are.

Wrong, in this case dreadfully.

.../ points to the current directory.
/ points to the root directory for the site.

These two are not necessarily the same.

If the "two dots" are omitted then so must the / be, otherwise the image may
not be found.

I don't know about MAC IE but Windows IE does not care if the quotes are
there or not. It's error correction puts them in if they are missing.

Cheers
Richard.

David Håsäther

rf said:
I don't know about MAC IE but Windows IE does not care if the
quotes are there or not. It's error correction puts them in if
they are missing.

The quotes aren't requried by the specification.

Els

rf said:
../ points to the current directory.

Sure it's not the parent directory?
I use it when I need to point to some file in the directory
above the one the current file is in.

Richard

rf wrote:

Wrong, in this case dreadfully.
../ points to the current directory.
/ points to the root directory for the site.
These two are not necessarily the same.
If the "two dots" are omitted then so must the / be, otherwise the image
may not be found.
I don't know about MAC IE but Windows IE does not care if the quotes are
there or not. It's error correction puts them in if they are missing.
Cheers
Richard.

The two dots means to move back up one directory.
Without the dots it means to take the information from this directory.

Try it yourself in DOS.

Toby A Inkster

Richard said:
The two dots means to move back up one directory.
Correct[1].

Without the dots it means to take the information from this directory.

Wrong! Without the dots it means to take the information from the root
directory.

/images/head.jpg

With a single dot it means relative to the current directory:

./images/head.jpg

Or leave out the dots and slash altogether for the relative to the current
directory also:

images/head.jpg

rf

Richard said:
rf wrote:

As you and all others can see I corrected this mistake of mine in a post
within this thread exactly one hour after I posted the incorrect
information. I can never remember how many damn dots to type in and usually
have to open a dos box to check, which I did, after thinking about what I
posted.
The two dots means to move back up one directory.

Correct. We can all agree on this.
Without the dots it means to take the information from this directory.

It is absolutely bloody amazing that even when you detect an error in one of
my posts you provide a "correction" which is itself totally wrong. Why dont
*you* open a dos box and check that the drivel you post is correct.

I leave the real meaning of removing just those two dots (and leaving in the
/)as an exercise for the student. Don't you bother with this exercise
Richard, you will get it wrong.

Cheers
Richard.

Toby A Inkster

Mark said:
Correct[1].

I'm still waiting for this footnote... ;-)

Oh yes. Forgot. It was going to be a note to say that '/' delimiters in
URLs don't necessarily correspond to any real directory structure on the
server.