Certificates and popups

Tom Szabo

Hi,
popups.

Just wondering, if one provides/uses a certificate on the website, does that
solve the problem with blocked popups?

I am building an application in PHP/JavaScript that will be used only on our
clients' computers, but new clients are added frequently.

I want to use popups to simulate a windows like environment, and I dont want
to go anywhere near ASP.NET, just in case somebody likes to suggest that, no
thank you at this time :)

TIA,

Tom

Grant Wagner

Tom said:
Hi,

popups.

Just wondering, if one provides/uses a certificate on the website, does that
solve the problem with blocked popups?
No.

I am building an application in PHP/JavaScript that will be used only on our
clients' computers, but new clients are added frequently.

Then I guess you can be incredibly unenlightened and insist that your client
allow popups from your site. Assuming they know how to configure their browsers
appropriately.
I want to use popups to simulate a windows like environment, and I dont want
to go anywhere near ASP.NET, just in case somebody likes to suggest that, no
thank you at this time :)

ASP.NET does not solve the problem of blocked popups. And using the Web browser
as a UI for a "Windows like" application is a very very bad idea. You simply do
not have enough control over the UI to do the types of things that you will want
to do.

Your choices are:
1) live with the limitations of the Web browser based UI and realize there are
things you will be simply unable to do
2) write a client-based application in .Net (not ASP.NET) or Java or C++ or
Delphi or PowerBuilder that will give you the level of control you desire

Tom Szabo

Your choices are:
1) live with the limitations of the Web browser based UI and realize there are
things you will be simply unable to do

I think I will take this one (1) I think a lot of limitations in our mind.
If we think outside of the square, anything is possible. I am actually quite
amazed by how productive PHP with Java once I have libaries. I am not using
PHP in the conventional embedded mode, what I am doing is slightly different

2) write a client-based application in .Net (not ASP.NET) or Java or C++ or
Delphi or PowerBuilder that will give you the level of control you desire

....as this (2) is not a choice for me! I am not interested to lock myself
into an MS platform in any way.

So far the only problem I can see is that our industry is full of idiots who
try to decide for the user of their hardware and software what is the best
for them. Good example MS WinXP SP2.

I am happy that MS improves its products, but I am certainly not happy with
XP Pro having new features default on. I think the user should have the
choice.

Actually I am quite dissapointed with the Google Toolbar, for the same
reason...

Anyway that is just my opinion..:)

Thanks for your help,
Tom