Changing the address bar without loading a page

Qu0ll

Another n00b question, is it possible with JavaScript to manipulate the
address bar without reloading a page? i.e. can I add something like
"?pageId=1234" at the end of the address bar text without actually changing
the page that is currently loaded? Can you provide some example code?

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Qu0ll said:
Another n00b question, is it possible with JavaScript to manipulate the
address bar without reloading a page?

No, and if you had cared to read *anything* before you posted, you would
have known. Please make it your New Year's resolution to do so.

PointedEars

Qu0ll

No, and if you had cared to read *anything* before you posted, you would
have known. Please make it your New Year's resolution to do so.

Thanks. Please make it your New Year's resolution to not be so grumpy.

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Qu0ll said:
"Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn":

Thanks. Please make it your New Year's resolution to not be so grumpy.

It is easy to become grumpy after having to endure the same idiotic behavior
again and again last year, and then see it continue in the next. I lost
count long ago, and I don't mean newbies asking questions in general.

PointedEars

Qu0ll

It is easy to become grumpy after having to endure the same idiotic
behavior
again and again last year, and then see it continue in the next. I lost
count long ago, and I don't mean newbies asking questions in general.

What was so "idiotic" about my behaviour?

--

Qu0ll said:
"Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" [wrote]:
It is easy to become grumpy after having to endure the same idiotic
behavior again and again last year, and then see it continue in the
next. I lost count long ago, and I don't mean newbies asking questions
in general.

What was so "idiotic" about my behaviour?

See also http://jibbering.com/faq/ pp., and http://insideoe.com/ to fix/work
around the flaws of your newsreader.

F'up2 poster

PointedEars

Qu0ll

Well those links may indeed be informative but I still fail to see how you
could describe my behaviour as idiotic. The post included a proper title
and was unambiguous. Perhaps I could have found the answer if I had done a
little more digging but, as I have never had anything to do with JavaScript
before, I wasn't sure where to look for best results. I have no books on
the subject and my web searches did not provide what I needed. So then I
thought I would post a simple message to usenet and hopefully someone could
quickly and painlessly provide an answer, which they did (thanks Lee).

There was really no need for you to chime in with your useless rants. The
question had been answered and I was happy. Perhaps you've just had a bad
day or are going through a difficult time. Either way, apology accepted.

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

slebetman

There was really no need for you to chime in with your useless rants. The
question had been answered and I was happy. Perhaps you've just had a bad
day or are going through a difficult time. Either way, apology accepted.

Seriously? This is usenet. Thomas wasn't being "grumpy" or offensive
by usenet standards. If you want to see grumpy go to comp.lang.c. Grow
a thick skin or you wouldn't survive usenet.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

So, there's a forged sender address, too.
"Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" [...]:

[...] Perhaps I could have found the answer if I had done a
little more digging [...]

There was really no need for you to chime in with your useless rants. The
question had been answered and I was happy. Perhaps you've just had a bad
day or are going through a difficult time. Either way, apology accepted.
^^^^^^^
You must be kidding.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* *
* G A M E O V E R *
* *
* Thank you for playing Usenet. *
* *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

PointedEars

Qu0ll

Seriously? This is usenet. Thomas wasn't being "grumpy" or offensive
by usenet standards. If you want to see grumpy go to comp.lang.c. Grow
a thick skin or you wouldn't survive usenet.

My skin is plenty thick enough and no offense was taken. But I still would
like to know why my post was "idiotic" so I will never ever be so stupid
again.

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Qu0ll

So, there's a forged sender address, too.

Does the word "munge" mean anything to you oh Pointy One?

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Jeremy J Starcher

My skin is plenty thick enough and no offense was taken. But I still would
like to know why my post was "idiotic" so I will never ever be so stupid
again.

The biggest thing you've done to upset some of the regulars is ask a
fairly common question. While the question is new to you, most of the
folks here have seen (and answered) it a dozen types or more.

Thanks to DejaVu (now owned by Google groups and reachable at
groups.google.com) UseNet is archived and easily searched.

The first page has someone asking pretty much that very questions over in
microsoft.public.scripting.jscript

The second thing you've done is ask how to do something that, even if it
WERE possible, is not a good idea. Don't muck with them. Don't try to
add weird hashes onto the end of it to save state. Don't break navigation.

Dynamic HTML (and AJAX) already breaks the traditional web to an extent.
It is hard to bookmark and to email a URL to someone else. In those
instances I'm a fan of '[Create email link]' and '[bookmark this]' links
but I'm *sure* I'll have someone jumping in with all sorts of problems
with that idea. I'll say ahead of time: They are right. I don't think
there is a nice way to do what you are trying to do.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Jeremy said:
The second thing you've done is ask how to do something that, even if it
WERE possible, is not a good idea. Don't muck with them. Don't try to
add weird hashes onto the end of it to save state. Don't break navigation.

I had not thought about fragment identifiers, or "weird hashes" as you call
them. But I can see nothing wrong in using them in XHR applications in
order to save the state of the application and allow the user the use the
"Back" button to return to the previous state, or to jump to a specific
state via a bookmark. I have not tested or used them yet, though. Have you?

BTW, your From and Message-ID headers do not comply with Internet standards
and the Netiquette. The domain part must be an existing FQDN, and the From
address as a whole has to designate a mailbox, of course.

PointedEars

David Mark

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn said the following on 1/1/2008 12:21 PM:

Changing the hash requires reloading the page and directly defeats one
of the purposes of AJAX. If you are going to reload the page anyway, you
may as well skip AJAX, just reload the page, and get the data from the
server.

Not to mention that you have to have an interval firing constantly to
watch for a change in the hash. It is a very silly workaround. Ajax
developers don't seem to know how to back up when they hit a brick
wall.

Qu0ll

The biggest thing you've done to upset some of the regulars is ask a
fairly common question. While the question is new to you, most of the
folks here have seen (and answered) it a dozen types or more.

Thanks to DejaVu (now owned by Google groups and reachable at
groups.google.com) UseNet is archived and easily searched.

The first page has someone asking pretty much that very questions over in
microsoft.public.scripting.jscript

OK, point taken. I still think "idiotic" is a bit over the top though :)
The second thing you've done is ask how to do something that, even if it
WERE possible, is not a good idea. Don't muck with them. Don't try to
add weird hashes onto the end of it to save state. Don't break
navigation.

Dynamic HTML (and AJAX) already breaks the traditional web to an extent.
It is hard to bookmark and to email a URL to someone else. In those
instances I'm a fan of '[Create email link]' and '[bookmark this]' links
but I'm *sure* I'll have someone jumping in with all sorts of problems
with that idea. I'll say ahead of time: They are right. I don't think
there is a nice way to do what you are trying to do.

Point taken again. As I said, I am completely new to the nuances of
JavaScript-ing. Thanks for the info.

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <477a3fa4$0$25477$5a62ac22@per-
qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>, Wed, 2 Jan 2008 00:27:00, Qu0ll
Does the word "munge" mean anything to you oh Pointy One?

Please do not tease the socially undeveloped.