Chat Refresh

Craig Lister

I've made a small chat page for a website that I made as a hobby...

I didn't want to use Java, as alot of users can't/don't know how to download
and install this. I know it's easy, people. But some people just don't get
it.

I didn't want to use flash, because ... I have no idea how.

And it has to be a web page based chat, so that anone who can browse, can
use this chat. (Firewalls, etc)

So, I came up with a frame based html page, using php pages, and a small bit
of javascript.

As it's a free site, I'm hoping people can give me tips and advice how to
make it a bit better..

The address is http://www.myschoolmates.com/chat/

Things I'l like to do is, make th refresh better. Some people on modems are
too slow, and struggle to see the chat messages page.

Can I get rid of the clicking sound on the client PC's, or is that part of
Internet Explorer?

I'd like to make the typing line disabled when clicked. But I can't seem to
do that. What do I need to do?

Thanks guys!

Daniel

Craig Lister said:
Things I'l like to do is, make th refresh better. Some people on modems are
too slow, and struggle to see the chat messages page.

I just discovered the marvellous, wonderous XMLHTTPRequest object that's
available in IE and Mozilla. You might love it too =) Check it out at
www.jibbering.com.
Can I get rid of the clicking sound on the client PC's, or is that part of
Internet Explorer?

Actually, it's part of Windows' sound schemes. I don't think you can disable
it, but I'm not 100% sure...
I'd like to make the typing line disabled when clicked. But I can't seem to
do that. What do I need to do?

If you go with the XMLHTTPRequest thing it'll come naturally, otherwise,
you'll need to call a function instead of instantly submit when it's
clicked. This function could submit (document.typer.submit()), then clear
the field (document.typer.txtMessage.value="").

Cheers,
Daniel.