Chromeless Window With Rounded Borders

Jeff Johnson

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for information on how to create a chromeless window with
rounded borders. The window will present a question to the user and
they can respond by clicking a 'yes' or 'no' button.

I need to get this to work cross browser and cross platform.

Thanks,

Jeff

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

I'm looking for information on how to create a chromeless window with
rounded borders. The window will present a question to the user and
they can respond by clicking a 'yes' or 'no' button.
I need to get this to work cross browser and cross platform.

What makes you think it is possible at all?

A "chromeless window" is created with window.open. It only creates
square windows in the browsers and operating systems I use. Javascript
has no control over the looks of such windows, they are controlled by
the operating system.

Which browsers do you need to be "cross browser" on? Netscape 4?
Lynx?

You can't use a real operating-system window. If you need to control
the looks, you must create it inside the browser. There you can use
any mount of styling allowed by the browser, to make something look
like it has rounded corners (most likely method is using transparent
images as corners).

Is it really that important how the window looks?
/L

DB McGee

Jeff Johnson said:
I'm looking for information on how to create a chromeless window with
rounded borders. The window will present a question to the user and
they can respond by clicking a 'yes' or 'no' button.

I need to get this to work cross browser and cross platform.

Assuming that you don't need the window to persist between page loads, your best
bet to create some kind of styled window with rounded corners is probably to
create a "pseudo-window" consisting of a <div> with whatever graphics and HTML
content that you show (window open) and hide (window close).

To make it work across multiple browsers, you will need to wrangle the various
CSS properties to achieve the intended visual effects as well as the related
DHTML to accomplish things like window hiding/showing and positioning.

I'd be more than willing to bet that there are solutions already out there that
do just this - but I'll leave the hunting around for those to you.

cwdjr

I do not know how to do this with a conventional window. However you
can do about the same thing with a little CSS positioning using a
circle gif for the rounded corners, z-index, and background-color. One
example is given at http://www.cwdjr.net/geometric/cornertest.html .
Another example is at http://www.cwdjr.net/geometric/cornertest2.html
.. There are a few notes in the source code. These pages were just an
experiment not intended for the public. Thus they are a little crude.
Hopefully they will help.