'clear' inside of nested divs

Jens Lenge

Spartanicus said:
By CSS 2.0 rules, CSS 2.1 rules specify a shrink to fit behaviour for
browsers. Shrink to fit is implemented by IE, Gecko and Opera 7+.

Well, at least Firefox and Internet Explorer 6 seem to *not* shrink to
fit...

Jens

Spartanicus

Jens Lenge said:
Well, at least Firefox and Internet Explorer 6 seem to *not* shrink to
fit...

They do, you probably misunderstand the shrink to fit mechanism.

Jens Lenge

Spartanicus said:
They do, you probably misunderstand the shrink to fit mechanism.

Hmmm, maybe.
What I mean is (still refering to my OP):

If I make the middle column a float:left without specifying a width, then it
will no longer be placed between left and right column, but below the left
column and above the right one, regardless of the margins set. When I
specify a width for the middle column, it remains between the other columns.

What exactly am I misunderstanding?

Jens