clever fork

George Mpouras

I want to utilize all the cpu cores as much as possible.
What I am thinking is to "break" my sql queries to as many parts as the
number of cpu cores , and then fork every part.
Do you think it is going to work ; Do you have any other idea ; Thanks.

Rainer Weikusat

"George Mpouras"
I want to utilize all the cpu cores as much as possible.
What I am thinking is to "break" my sql queries to as many parts as
the number of cpu cores , and then fork every part.
Do you think it is going to work ;

Probably. The more interesting question is "Does this make
sense?". You could utilize more than one core for 'application
computing' in this way, however 'SQL query' usually implies RDBMS
which means that a lot of the 'computing' is done insided the
database management system which is unaffected by forks done in an
application and that I/O is necessary to move the queries to the
database and the results back to the application. I/O is also (at
best) unaffected by application forks and it is going to be a lot
slower than 'computing', hence, there's a non-negligible chance that
your application is either I/O bound or that 'the CPU-bound parts'
happen insided the RDBMS.