code for two half diamond shapes

mitchellpal

guys.... help me out here... my code is running halfway... how do i
complete the other right half....... pp.. the user should input an odd
number btw 0 and 20 then the program displays th shape as shown....i.e
two half diamonds...e.g if no. is 3 output;

* *
* * *
#include <stdio.h>

void star(int num);
void space(int num);
main()
{

int num;
do
{
printf("Please enter an odd number : ");
scanf("%d",&num);
}while(num % 2 ==0);

star(num);

}

void star(int num)
{
int count_stars=0;
int num_stars= 1;
int count_spaces= 1;

// loop for the upper part of the left diamond
while (num_stars <= num)

{
count_spaces =(num-num_stars)/2;

// loop for printing spaces input value
while (count_spaces > 0)
{
printf(" ");
count_spaces = count_spaces - 1;

}

//initialising number of stars
count_stars = num_stars;

//this is for printing stars
while (count_stars > 0)
{
printf("*");
//loop for printing spaces inside value which is 2 less the input
number
while (count_stars > 2)
{
printf(" ");
count_stars = count_stars -1;
}
count_stars = count_stars -1;
}
//void star (int num);

num_stars=num_stars +2;
printf("\n");

and you say c ain't challenging! my email address is real.

Vladimir S. Oka

guys.... help me out here... my code is running halfway... how do i
complete the other right half....... pp.. the user should input an odd
number btw 0 and 20 then the program displays th shape as shown....i.e
two half diamonds...e.g if no. is 3 output;

* *
* * *

Let's start with the above. It should have read:

Hi guys,

Please help me with this problem. I have put halfhearted effort into
this, and now it's outputing only half of what I need. The user is
supposed to input an odd number between 0 and 20, and the program then
displays the shape as shown below, i.e. two half diamonds. E.g. if user
inputs 3:

* *
* * *

Also, an example with 5 would have helped more...
#include <stdio.h>

void star(int num);
void space(int num);
main()
{
int num;
do
{
printf("Please enter an odd number : ");
scanf("%d",&num);
}while(num % 2 ==0);

You should think about negative numbers as well. What sort of shape
would you print for a negative number?
star(num);
}
void star(int num)
{
[...]

The above code actually compiles (for me, only when I replace C++ style
comments with C style, but that's just my compiler not being
C90-compliant, I guess), and it does output only the first half diamond
shape. You should have stated that more precisely, as "halfway" may
have been: half way vertically, as well as horizontally, not to mention
"up to line XXX of the program listing". ;-)

Your spacing is horrible (or your posting SW made it so), but I'd say
you didn't even _try_ doing the other half-diamond. I actually gave up
understanding your code, but was sufficiently intrigued to write my own
(a /very/ slow day at work).

I'm going to post my star() function below, and I encourage you to
figure out how it works. It's not commented, but I'm not doing
/everything/ for you! (To pedants: yes, I could have formatted it
better.) NB, the caller is supposed to ensure num >= 0!

void star(int num)
{
int lead = num / 2;
int hill = -1;
int valley = num - 2;
int i;

while (lead >= 0)
{
for (i = 0; i < lead; ++i) printf(" ");

printf("*");

for (i = 0; i < hill; ++i) printf(" ");

if (hill > 0) printf("*");

for (i = 0; i < valley; ++i) printf(" ");

if (valley > 0) printf("*");

for (i = 0; i < hill; ++i) printf(" ");

if (hill > 0) printf("*");

printf("\n");

--lead;
hill += 2;
valley -= 2;

I'm sure there's other/better ways of doing this, and you're free to
give it a shot.
and you say c ain't challenging! my email address is real.

This actually wasn't C at all, but a general problem solving exercise.
There's nothing C-specific here.

Cheers

Vladimir

PS
Regarding your second post:

a) Quote what you're replying to -- even when replying to yourself,
otherwise people won't know what you're on about. I struggled, even I
actually saw your previous post.
b) The tone in it moves you dangerously close to trolling. Noone here
has the duty to reply. The more insistent you are the less likely it is
that you'll get a reply (at least a polite one).

PPS

Flash Gordon

anyone wanna post me the code...?
am done to my best

Firstly, please provide context even when replying to yourself, it is
entirely possible that people have not yet seen the message you are
replying to. See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/for information on how
to do this.

Secondly, this is *not* a chat room. Allow at least a day or two before
assuming people are not going to answer. In this case I'm not answering
your original question because I've gone past it to see what extra
information you've provided, only to see this stupid post and as a
result decide I can't be bothered to help you this time.

Oh, and please don't use slang like "wanna", make an attempt to make it
easy for the people who might help you by writing in English. English
errors due to it not being your first language are fine, but shear
laziness isn't.