COM+ component printers collection is empty

Simon Thompson

Hi,

I have a VB6 ActiveX DLL that we use for printing. It iterates through
the printers collection to set the printer to the one the user
requested. This is called from ASP (VB Script) pages, and from a VB
Web Class application. The problem is, sometimes the printers
collection is empty, so it fails to print.

The COM+ package is configured to run as a known user. This user has
printers configured. If we logon to the Web Server as the known user,
and restart component services, then the printers appear and it all
works. if we leave the console logged on, it keeps working. If we log
the console off, then at some point (overnight), it 'forgets' the
printers.

We now have a customer where leaving the console logged on is not an
option. And they do not want to logon to 'kick start' it. The first
users come in early in the morning, before IT is at work to resolve
teh porblem.

This is occuring on Windows 2000 Server, and on Windows 2003 server.

I have tried:

- Searching the web.
- Using EnumPrinters instead. This gives the local pronters, but not
the network pronters.
- (I am trying) using OpenPrinter first.
- I have tried to find a way to force the DLL to initialise the
security, without success.

TIA.

Simon.