COM server / COM client

Dan

Does the COM server created with python have to be compiled? I have the
need to integrate database access but, I can not have any proprietary
software. Meaning no compiled programs built by me. So, if python can
do com clients and servers without compiling, Im good. But I don't know
if that is possible. The ctypes example implies that it must be
compiled using py2exe. I know the clients don't have to be compiled.
What about the server?

Larry Bates

Dan said:
Does the COM server created with python have to be compiled? I have the
need to integrate database access but, I can not have any proprietary
software. Meaning no compiled programs built by me. So, if python can
do com clients and servers without compiling, Im good. But I don't know
if that is possible. The ctypes example implies that it must be
compiled using py2exe. I know the clients don't have to be compiled.
What about the server?

Sounds like you are walking a "fine line" on the "no compiled programs
written by me" thing.

Py2exe doesn't REALLY compile python. Rather it PACKAGEs it into an
..exe file with any required external routines in library.zip. With
proper bundle option, you can put everything into the .exe file itself
(except for mscvrt71.dll). Just makes it easier to distribute and
you don't have to install Python. Using py2exe and Inno Setup (my
recommendation) makes it easier to distribute your program to multiple
computers.

That said, no you don't have to compile. If you don't create .exe
by using py2exe you must have Python on the machine and must set up
any supporting libraries (like ctypes) in lib/site-packages.

-Larry Bates

Dan

Sounds like you are walking a "fine line" on the "no compiled programs
Yeah, I hate it. I could have written a C++ server, client application
etc.. very easily. Instead, I have had to write javascript on the
client to embed in an html page to view, insert,delete etc.. SQL server
table over the intranet via ADO. But, requirements are requirements.
Besides, I am learning a lot and thats always good. We are integrators,
so our clients specifications are always vague and with an eye toward
leaving themselves "outs" whenever possible.

That won't be a problem since all of the clients will be our own pc's
so we will be installing python on each.

What about activeX controls? Will I be able to create an activeX client
control using python for embedding into a web document, again without
compiling ? I know I could use Javascript to gain access to the python
server but I don't know if it will allow me to subscribe to the events
properly. In the ADO interfaces at least you can not receive the events
fired from the server via Javascript or VBScript. Thanks, Dan

Larry Bates

Dan said:
[...]

I guess I'm confused. You said "Meaning no compiled programs...".
ActiveX controls are compiled and Python is compiled. How come you
can install THOSE compiled programs but not application programs that
are compiled? To run ActiveX it has to be compiled/installed (it is
installed on the fly but it is still installing a compiled program).

-Larry Bates