command line path

mclaugb

I am trying to pass the name of several files to a python script as command
line arguments. When i type in

python ImportFiles_test.py C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW
7.1\project\calibration\FREQUENCY_
13.CSV

The following error results:

C:\Program Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Documents and Settings\bm304.BRYANPC\My
Documents\Python\ImportFiles_test.py", line 10, in ?
input = open(file1, 'rb');
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Program'

I debugged a little and what is happening is the space in "c:\Program Files"
and "...\National Instruments..\" is being parsed as separate arguments and
i only wish for them to be parsed as one.

How do I get pass a path string containing spaces?

Regards,
Bryan

Diez B. Roggisch

I debugged a little and what is happening is the space in "c:\Program Files"
and "...\National Instruments..\" is being parsed as separate arguments and
i only wish for them to be parsed as one.

How do I get pass a path string containing spaces?

Surround it with double quotes. This is no python issue, it's part of
your shell. Under unix (or cygwin) , you could also use '\ ' to escape
the single spaces.

Diez

Lee Harr

I am trying to pass the name of several files to a python script as command
line arguments. When i type in

python ImportFiles_test.py C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW
7.1\project\calibration\FREQUENCY_
13.CSV

The following error results:

C:\Program Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Documents and Settings\bm304.BRYANPC\My
Documents\Python\ImportFiles_test.py", line 10, in ?
input = open(file1, 'rb');
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Program'

I debugged a little and what is happening is the space in "c:\Program Files"
and "...\National Instruments..\" is being parsed as separate arguments and
i only wish for them to be parsed as one.

How do I get pass a path string containing spaces?

Try quotes ...

python "ImportFiles_test.py C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\project\calibration\FREQUENCY_13.CSV"

Tim Roberts

Lee Harr said:
[...]

Right idea, but wrong implementation. What that does is pass one very long
file name as the script file, with no parameters.

This is right, modulo the line splitting: