Commas in list markup

arbpen

I have a list of states that are going to be displayed horrizonally (or
vertically without CSS), and I am trying to decide if I should use
commas. Usually, I use a little padding and a border to visually
separate the items, but the commas _look_ better. I am wondering what
a screen reader is going to do with this kind of markup.

Markup:

Which would display as Alabama, Alaska. But, I don't know what a
screen reader would do with it. Like LINK TO BLA OPEN state COMMA LINK
TO BLA CLOSED

If some kind person could go to
http://www.visionforglendale.com/usenet/testingcommas.html and listen
to it, I would really appreciate it.

Rene Pot

arbpen said:
I have a list of states that are going to be displayed horrizonally (or
vertically without CSS), and I am trying to decide if I should use
commas. Usually, I use a little padding and a border to visually
separate the items, but the commas _look_ better. I am wondering what
a screen reader is going to do with this kind of markup.

Markup:

Which would display as Alabama, Alaska. But, I don't know what a
screen reader would do with it. Like LINK TO BLA OPEN state COMMA LINK
TO BLA CLOSED

If some kind person could go to
http://www.visionforglendale.com/usenet/testingcommas.html and listen
to it, I would really appreciate it.

If you just check the source:

ul {list-style-type: none; margin:0}
li {display:inline; padding-right:.5em; }
</head>
<h1>Testing Commas in List Markup</h1>
<ul>

</ul>

That shows a CSS part in the script. Does this work?

arbpen

Rene Pot wote:
If you just check the source:

ul {list-style-type: none; margin:0}
li {display:inline; padding-right:.5em; }
</head>
<h1>Testing Commas in List Markup</h1>
<ul>

</ul>

That shows a CSS part in the script. Does this work?

I don't think you understood my original post. The document in
question is not a script, it is an HTML document. I am not concerned
about the CSS, I know it works for CSS compliant browsers. I am
wondering about screen readers and how they might speak the rendered
source.

Please note I asked for readers to _listen_ to the page, not read it.

Toby Inkster

arbpen said:
Markup:

This looks like something that's likely to be a long list (perhaps as many
as 50 items?) so might be worth adding a "skip" link before it.

dorayme

arbpen said:
I have a list of states that are going to be displayed horrizonally (or
vertically without CSS), and I am trying to decide if I should use
commas. Usually, I use a little padding and a border to visually
separate the items, but the commas _look_ better. I am wondering what
a screen reader is going to do with this kind of markup.

Markup:

Which would display as Alabama, Alaska. But, I don't know what a
screen reader would do with it. Like LINK TO BLA OPEN state COMMA LINK
TO BLA CLOSED

If some kind person could go to
http://www.visionforglendale.com/usenet/testingcommas.html and listen
to it, I would really appreciate it.

I would say to leave out the commas if you are going to underline
and have the spaces you have.

Jake

In message said:
I have a list of states that are going to be displayed horrizonally (or
vertically without CSS), and I am trying to decide if I should use
commas. Usually, I use a little padding and a border to visually
separate the items, but the commas _look_ better. I am wondering what
a screen reader is going to do with this kind of markup.

Markup:

Which would display as Alabama, Alaska. But, I don't know what a
screen reader would do with it. Like LINK TO BLA OPEN state COMMA LINK
TO BLA CLOSED

HPR 3.04
=======

It renders as:

"Alabama Alaska Arizona" (each word in a 'links' voice)

arbpen

Toby Inkster wote:
This looks like something that's likely to be a long list (perhaps as many
as 50 items?) so might be worth adding a "skip" link before it.

Actually, this is in addition to an input box which accepts a city
and/or zip plus a select list. It's for people and/or bots who either
can't or don't want to use forms (like Google). So in this case, the
skip is on the form, and jumps to this list of states. You see, one
has to pick a city and state to get to the rest of the site, which is a
directory of local stores, restarants and services (US only).

But, thanks for posting this - it reminded me to do something with the
results.