Common denominator for applets

aaronfude

Hi,

If I want to have an embedded applet that can be used by as many users
as possible is it still pretty much necessary to go with Java 1.1? If I
write a Java 2 applet, how many users shall I miss?
Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Missaka Wijekoon

The MS jvm running on Win 95 - Win XP is still very common. I believe
it may be JDK 1.0 (or 1.1). But I know it does not have Swing.

aaronfude

Deffinitely off topic, but how many users would I be cutting off?

Also, I'm obnoxiously assuming if the answer is X, then only about
0.01X of them are capable of using an interactive website anyway.

Andrew Thompson

If I want to have an embedded applet ..

Embedded in what?
..that can be used by as many users as possible ..

1.1

A 1.1 compatible applet will run on the MSVM 1.1.4, Symantec 1.1.5,
Sun 1.1.8, as well browsers as running Java 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 or 1.5.
..is it still pretty much necessary to go with Java 1.1?

Your words "as many users as possible" makes it a foregone conclusion.

Andrew Thompson

Deffinitely off topic, ..

Why would you say that? 'Java version useage in browsers'
seems perfectly on topic to me.
...but how many users would I be cutting off?

But that is where it gets tricky. I do not believe there
are any accurate figures available.

More people every day are moving to Linux or other OS',
or other Windows browsers.

There is a constant flow of visitors to my site to get a tool[1] that
*removes* the MSVM, and JVMClean[1] only works under Sun Java.

[1] <http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp>

But I feel you are pursuing the wrong strategy in attempting to
guess how many 1.1 users remain. You also do not have to
limit yourself to 1.1.

Instead, I suggest you set-up your applet and HTML to ensure the user..
- has the required Java, or..
- it is installed for them, or..
- they are informed as to what is going wrong.

That is the best way to approach this problem (and it is
what I do on my own sites)