comp.lang.* newsgroups seems dying

Xah Lee

it appears to me, that comp.lang.lisp is dying, and i think
comp.lang.* newsgroup is dying in general. (perhaps all newsgroups)

my experience in the last couple of years, i noticed fewer posts, and
much more spams, especially this year.

i think at least 25% of posts to comp.lang.lisp are spams this year.

Coupled with that info, you can check post stat here:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/about

it does seem decreasing. You can check other groups in the similar
way.

-----------------

it's funny that in comp.lang.perl.misc, half of the post these days
are Perl FAQs. lol. The Perl community's fanatical fuckhead priests
are practical and loud bunch, thinking they are mavericks and messiahs
among the programing geekers. They post their FAQ frequently, but not
only that, they cut it into 1 Question/Answer format and post several
of it per day. They've been doing that for years. (but even so, Perl's
popularity has been decreasing long-term in the past decade ...
(because, if good people keeps communication and info going, no amount
of marketing and fucking lies will perpetually sell yourself. The
other reason for decreasing perl use is that actually lots and lots
languages are coming into the scene))

(see also:
• Pathetically Elational Regex Language
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/perlr.html

• Proliferation of Computing Languages
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/new_langs.html
)

If comp.lang.lisp's fanatical lisp fuckheads actually cared about lisp
and lisp's health, and less of their motherfucking above-it mentality,
they'd do that (posting factualy Frequently asked Q/A on a daily
basis) and it would actually help lisp. (but the lisp regular
fuckhead's concern in comp.lang.lisp is typically: “i'm above you†and
“everything lisp is superiorâ€. **** lispers, in particular,****
Common Lispers and **** Scheme lispers. They are perhaps the most
worthless snob collective among functional programing communities.)

(See:
• Fundamental Problems of Lisp
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/lisp_problems.html
)

-----------------

in 2006 i did a survey of comp.lang.* posting frequency trend:

• Computer Language Popularity Trend
http://xahlee.org/lang_traf/index.html

Perhaps it's time to do it again?

all the code to do it is already there... (the python code grab the
info from google, and Mathematica generate the graph)
perhaps someone could take 10 min to run the code and post a report?
(all you need to do is create the graph part, using perhaps gnuplot or
similar, since you probably don't have Mathematica)

the problem with posting stat now is that massive number of spam posts
in the last few years. **** the motherfucking, irresponsible,
unthinking, social science illiterate tech geekers. It is their deeds
and behaviors that resulted this.

• Tech Geekers versus Spammers
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/tech_geekers_vs_spammers.html

Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

Jürgen Exner

[whatever]

Changed your ID again to escape the kill files?
Back you go to where you belong.

+-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
+-------------------+ / \
| | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
| | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
@x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
\||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
\||/ | | | jgs (______Y______)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

jue

Xah Lee

I agree with you completely.

For example, there's this guy, Xah Lee, who posts all the time to c.l.l, and
pretty much every one of his posts is spam. He probably makes that 25%
number all by himself.

Do you have any advice for how we can get rid of that guy?

Guys, look at this Don moron.

In the current week, we see in comp.lang.lisp these posts:

• FAST & EASY - ::: INSURANCE ::: allstate insurance
• Go to www.prettyreplica.com buy replica watches will get discount
this Christmas!
• Auto Insurance Center - Auto Insurance Quote
• okcupid tests - Free Online Dating
• okcupid login - Free Online Dating
• www okcupid com - Free Online Dating
• african american singles - Free Online Dating
• www myukdate com - Free Online Dating
• plentyoffish uk - Free Online Dating
• Chase credit cards HERE ALL
• COMPUTER FOR PEOPLE USE
• Juhla-Asu ei vastaa asujensa vioista ellei asiakas niitä ennen
vuokrtaamista huomaa
• HELP DESK
• STOCK TRADE

Check it out google group yourself: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/

this Don moron have any sense of responsibility? Is he pretenting he
doesn't understand what's spam? Does he care?

This post is posted to: comp.lang.lisp, comp.lang.scheme,
comp.lang.functional, comp.lang.perl.misc .

Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

smallpond

this Don moron have any sense of responsibility? Is he pretenting he
doesn't understand what's spam? Does he care?

This post is posted to: comp.lang.lisp, comp.lang.scheme,
comp.lang.functional, comp.lang.perl.misc .

Have you no sense of irony?

Kaz Kylheku

I wasn't going to reply but I confess that this is pretty funny. The Lisp
community enjoy measuring their success by the amount of spam they receive
in comp.lang.lisp compared to comp.lang.functional (and neglecting fa.caml
and fa.haskell).

Do not ascribe to others a preoccupation that is entirely yours.

Kaz Kylheku

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.lisp.]
Guys, look at this Don moron.

In the current week, we see in comp.lang.lisp these posts:

• FAST & EASY - ::: INSURANCE ::: allstate insurance
• Go to www.prettyreplica.com buy replica watches will get discount
this Christmas!
• Auto Insurance Center - Auto Insurance Quote
• okcupid tests - Free Online Dating
• okcupid login - Free Online Dating

Funny, I haven't seen any of this stuff.

See, you're making the mistake of assuming:

(eq 'google-groups 'usenet) => T

In fact, what you see on Usenet very much depends on the quality of your
provider. Usenet spam does not reach all of Usenet equally well.

Google Groups not only does a poor job of eliminating incoming spam, but it's a
haven for the generation of spam.

You're seeing a lot of this crap because you're connecting to the very Usenet
service where a lot of it originates.

D. Stussy

-----
it's funny that in comp.lang.perl.misc, half of the post these days
are Perl FAQs. lol. The Perl community's fanatical fuckhead priests
are practical and loud bunch, thinking they are mavericks and messiahs
among the programing geekers. They post their FAQ frequently, but not
only that, they cut it into 1 Question/Answer format and post several
of it per day. They've been doing that for years. (but even so, Perl's
popularity has been decreasing long-term in the past decade ...
(because, if good people keeps communication and info going, no amount
of marketing and fucking lies will perpetually sell yourself. The
other reason for decreasing perl use is that actually lots and lots
languages are coming into the scene)

brian d foy

D. Stussy said:
it appears to me, that comp.lang.lisp is dying, and i think
comp.lang.* newsgroup is dying in general. (perhaps all newsgroups)

my experience in the last couple of years, i noticed fewer posts, and
much more spams, especially this year.
-----
it's funny that in comp.lang.perl.misc, half of the post these days
are Perl FAQs. lol. The Perl community's fanatical fuckhead priests
are practical and loud bunch, thinking they are mavericks and messiahs
among the programing geekers. They post their FAQ frequently,

Actually, it's just me posting the FAQ excerpts, and it's once every
four hours (so only six a day). They always come from the same posting
address so they are easy to filter, and I use my real email address as
the sender so people know who's doing it and how to contact me.

It's really just me, the maintainer of the Perl FAQ. The other
fuckheads have nothing to do with it.

brian d foy

Xah said:
it's funny that in comp.lang.perl.misc, half of the post these days
are Perl FAQs. lol. The Perl community's fanatical fuckhead priests
are practical and loud bunch, thinking they are mavericks and messiahs
among the programing geekers. They post their FAQ frequently, but not
only that, they cut it into 1 Question/Answer format and post several
of it per day. They've been doing that for years.

Actually, there's only one fuckhead posting the FAQ, and that's me. :)

It's once every four hours (so only six a day). They always come from
the same posting address so they are easy to filter, and I use my real
email address as the sender so people know who's doing it and how to
contact me. Posting these excerpts to comp.lang.perl.misc is the only
reason the FAQ is as healthy as it is. The readers send me patches for
errors, updates, and so on.

It might seem like half the *messages* are PerlFAQ, but it's more like
half of the new *threads*. Depending on your newreader, that can be
confusing I guess.

It's really just me, the maintainer of the Perl FAQ. No other fuckheads
have anything to do with it, so don't credit or blame them.

Xah Lee

Well, with regards to perl, the topic has its own hierarchy in Usenet, so
I'd expect the lone group to be neglected. They're all over at perl.*.

Wow, amazing!

when did this happen?

is this announced in somewhere official perl community?

btw, what is the method or process of creating new newsgroup
hierarchy?

i don't imagin there now should also be root hierachy like “python.*â€,
“java.*†... is there any reason why perl can do it?

Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

Xah Lee

Actually, there's only one fuckhead posting the FAQ, and that's me. :)

It's once every four hours (so only six a day). They always come from
the same posting address so they are easy to filter, and I use my real
email address as the sender so people know who's doing it and how to
contact me. Posting these excerpts to comp.lang.perl.misc is the only
reason the FAQ is as healthy as it is. The readers send me patches for
errors, updates, and so on.

It might seem like half the *messages* are PerlFAQ, but it's more like
half of the new *threads*. Depending on your newreader, that can be
confusing I guess.

It's really just me, the maintainer of the Perl FAQ. No other fuckheads
have anything to do with it, so don't credit or blame them.

thanks for the info.

btw, it's not a complain. I'm just illustrating a aspect of maverick
practice among perlers.

btw, is “comp.lang.perl.*†officially defunct? Someone toldthat now
the activity is at “perl.*â€.

Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

Ted Zlatanov

XL> btw, is “comp.lang.perl.*†officially defunct? Someone told that now
XL> the activity is at “perl.*â€.

Yes, it's dead, the posts you see are just recycled from 1996-1997 and
rewritten by a special AI program.

Ted

Kaz Kylheku

Actually, there's only one fuckhead posting the FAQ, and that's me. :)

It's once every four hours (so only six a day). They always come from

``Only'' six FAQ posts per day? You're a loonie.

Even Xah Lee thinks so, which means a lot.

Tad J McClellan

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.perl.misc.]

Kaz Kylheku said:
``Only'' six FAQ posts per day? You're a loonie.

Thank you for defending brian's work.

("loonie" is less prejudicial than "fuckhead", right?)