compiler c

Nick Keighley

What is the best free compiler for c.

aquamarine.

there's gcc, Windows Express and lcc-win32 (free for non-commercial
use). Decide what "best" means and try them out. I'm sure you'll get
told of a few more.

Ben Bacarisse

vicent tarazona said:
What is the best free compiler for c.

You'd have to define "best" to get anything like a useful answer. You
might even have to define "free". I use gcc.

Hamiral

Nick said:
aquamarine.

there's gcc, Windows Express and lcc-win32 (free for non-commercial
use). Decide what "best" means and try them out. I'm sure you'll get
told of a few more.
For me, the "best" compiler would be the most common, versatile and
available on a maximum of platforms. Thus, with that definition of
"best", I would say that gcc is the "best" C compiler, though I really
don't know how good it is at conforming to the C specifications.

just my 0.02€...

Ham

BGB / cr88192

vicent tarazona said:
Hello,

What is the best free compiler for c.

personally, I use a mix:
MSVC, mostly for 64-bit Windows (via the Platform SDK, since it is free);
GCC via MinGW and Cygwin, with MinGW mostly for 32-bit Windows, and Cygwin
mostly for tools (since Cygwin generally does a better job for pure console
apps than MinGW or MSVC, but has some notable costs...).

I also use my own custom C compiler, but its main use is for JIT +
scripting, and I haven't really seriously used it for static compilation
(since, errm, MSVC and GCC do a fairly good job here), and it has some
issues which I would likely need to address before it would be usable here
(a few missing C features, making 'switch' able to use jump tables, trying
to address making the code generation a lot more "solid", ...). (actually, a
major weakness is compile-time performance, since we can generally ignore
delays when building, but when the compiler notably impacts app load times,
this gets annoying really fast...).

but, it works, and at the moment I have better things to do than go bug
hunting...
(I have sunk enough time into the thing already...).

I guess others have mentioned LCC-Win32 (and I guess there is LCC-Win64,
....), but I have not personally used these.

I guess LLVM-GCC may be worth mention, but I don't know how "good" it is in
general (not really tried using it personally).