&Compress::Zlib::gzopen and Scalar::Util errors

Tim Boyer

I'm running Red Hat Enterprise version 5 in a mixture of 32 and 64 bit
environments. There was a Perl security update last night, updating perl
5.8.8-10. to 5.8.8-10_02.

Since then, I've been having problems running a number of perl applications.
For instance, SpamAssassin:

[root@roosevelt scripts]# spamassassin --lint
/usr/lib64/perl5/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Scalar/Util.pm line 30.
/usr/lib64/perl5/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Scalar/Util.pm line 30.

or CPAN:

cpan> install Bundle::CPAN
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
Database was generated on Sun, 19 Aug 2007 04:36:49 GMT
CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok
Fetching with LWP:
http://mirror.hyperian.net/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/Scalar/Util.pm line 30.
Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
Undefined subroutine &Compress::Zlib::gzopen called at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN.pm line 5721.

I've ?fixed? the Scalar::Util problem by doing a force install Scalar::Util.
I've tried to do the same with Compress::Zlib, but with less luck:

cpan> install Compress::Zlib
Running install for module Compress::Zlib
Running make for P/PM/PMQS/Compress-Zlib-2.007.tar.gz
Undefined subroutine &Compress::Zlib::gzopen called at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN.pm line 5721.

So apparently I can't install Compress::Zlib until I get Compress::Zlib
working. This is... a conundrum.

Pointers in the right direction greatly appreciated.

kereml

I would suggest backing out the security update to get your production
system up and running and then testing your applications on another machine
to figure out what you need to do to get your apps working with the security
update.

[...]

- Al nt y göster -

Hi,

Try to upgrade CPAN