Configuration panel web daemon

Nick

Hi all,

I'm working on a graphics library for games and other applications
(e.g. medical) that can run in full-screen mode. For debugging,
analysis and configuration purposes I'd like to have a control panel
that can be run on another system in the LAN. So I was thinking of
running an HTTP daemon in the graphics library and serving a web page
with statistics and checkboxes/radio buttons/drop down lists for real-
time configuration.

I'm an experienced C++ programmer, but I'm fairly clueless how to get
started with this web based technology. Preferably I'd like to use a
minimal framework aimed directly at creating such a control panel, but
so far I've only found full-fledged servers and lightweight HTTP
servers. I probably have to go with the latter but again I'm puzzled
how to take the first steps. The 'Hello World' case of what I'm trying
to do is just one check box in a browser window that controls a
boolean in my C++ library...

All pointers and ideas highly appreciated!

Nicolas

Lars Uffmann

Hey everyone!

In a previous post, I was asking about thread programming in C++ and was
pointed to the boost libraries. However, now I am reading in the
boost.thread documentation at
http://www.boost.org/doc/html/thread.html#thread.glossary / Table 15.26
for Thread State that "Running" means: "Currently executing on a
processor. Zero or more threads may be running at any time, with a
maximum equal to the number of processors."

So does that mean multithreading is only intended for multi-processor
environments? What I was thinking about was actually more like... handle
network data in a procedure (which I thought would be a thread) that is
permanently listening to incoming packets, while the rest of my
application (GUI) is still reacting to user input.

I have used a "thread" implementation of widestudio for this
successfully, so I didn't really have the idea this could be the wrong
approach.

What would be the correct approach to run several processes in parallel
on a single-core system (or regardless of the amount of cores)?

TIA,

Lars

Lars Uffmann

argl sorry - forgot that modifying a reply-to would create a reference
to the OP - my bad... ignore this thread please, creating a new one