configuring apache to run tomcat as a plugin?

Someone

I've downloaded tomcat which seems to have a built in http server
because I can start tomcat, deploy a webapp and hit it on port 8080.
But am I right in saying this is just to be used as a test
environment?

I want to set up a box as a production environment with apache running
a java application server such as tomcat but I can't find any articles
helping me to do so on a Win32 box.

I am assuming that tomcat isn't just standalone, and that it can
'plugin' to apache.

Any pointers in the right direction appreciated.

Ann

Someone said:
I've downloaded tomcat which seems to have a built in http server
because I can start tomcat, deploy a webapp and hit it on port 8080.
But am I right in saying this is just to be used as a test
environment?

I want to set up a box as a production environment with apache running
a java application server such as tomcat but I can't find any articles
helping me to do so on a Win32 box.

I am assuming that tomcat isn't just standalone, and that it can
'plugin' to apache.

Any pointers in the right direction appreciated.

It is totally possible to have just tomcat handle everything. If you want to
change the port from 8080 to 80, it is in one of the configuration files.

Joe

Someone said:
I've downloaded tomcat which seems to have a built in http server
because I can start tomcat, deploy a webapp and hit it on port 8080.
But am I right in saying this is just to be used as a test
environment?

I want to set up a box as a production environment with apache running
a java application server such as tomcat but I can't find any articles
helping me to do so on a Win32 box.

I am assuming that tomcat isn't just standalone, and that it can
'plugin' to apache.

Any pointers in the right direction appreciated.

The Tomcat site does (as far as I remember) recommend that Tomcat be
not used as a production HTTP server - checkout JK2 - this provides an
Apache module which allows Apache (running on port 80) to filter
requests to Tomcat (running on, say, port 8080). You can then disable
Tomcat's default contexts and prevent access to 8080 from the outside
world using a firewall. (Apache can then also be used to handle SSL
access if required.)

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/jk2/

Joe

kevin

Someone said:
I've downloaded tomcat which seems to have a built in http server
because I can start tomcat, deploy a webapp and hit it on port 8080.
But am I right in saying this is just to be used as a test
environment?

I want to set up a box as a production environment with apache running
a java application server such as tomcat but I can't find any articles
helping me to do so on a Win32 box.

I am assuming that tomcat isn't just standalone, and that it can
'plugin' to apache.

Any pointers in the right direction appreciated.

you can plug tomcat into apache, using at least two methods
mod_jk2
ajp13 (mod_jk)

both are connectors defined in the server.xml of tomcat, just like the
standard conenctor for HTTP on port 8080.
Look in your server.xml. You probably already have the definition for
ajp13 commented out.
There are plenty of howtos about both of these. They work by linking
tomcat into apache as a service to handle .jsp or servlet http
requests.
You will need to modify the settings of tomcat and apache, and create
a few property files, but plenty of help is out there

here are a few pointers

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.3-doc/mod_jk-howto.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/jk2/

HTH

Ann

Joe said:
Someone <[email protected]> wrote in message

The Tomcat site does (as far as I remember) recommend that Tomcat be
not used as a production HTTP server

Depends on the production environment. If you have 99.999 percent jsp
then I don't see why you need Apache. What's wrong with this statement?