Congratulations for comp.java.lang.progammer newsgroup !

Razvan

Hi !

I am hanging out in this newsgroup for about 3 months now and I must
say that I have learned a lot in this time. The noise level is
incredibly low, some people really know Java inside out (I won't make
a list as such things always offend some people) and the response time
is very reasonable (about a day - but that is OK since posting thru
groups.google takes up to 9 hours anyway).

I was a regular COLA (comp.os.linux.advocacy) reader and I still read
it from time to time. On COLA the days when you find useful
information are fortunate. Flame wars over flame wars over flame wars
and on top of that personal attacks. Perhaps someone is manipulating
COLA in order to create a chaotic image of Linux. Who knows ? Anyway,
CJLP (comp.java.lang.progammer) is 1000 times better. I know that the
subject is completely different, but any newsgroup can be judged by
the noise / signal ratio.

Regards,
Razvan

Steve Sobol

Razvan said:
I am hanging out in this newsgroup for about 3 months now and I must
say that I have learned a lot in this time. The noise level is
incredibly low, some people really know Java inside out (I won't make
a list as such things always offend some people) and the response time
is very reasonable (about a day - but that is OK since posting thru
groups.google takes up to 9 hours anyway).

I have to agree - I've found cjlp to be an extremely useful resource. And it's
amazingly flame-free.

VisionSet

Steve Sobol said:
I have to agree - I've found cjlp to be an extremely useful resource. And it's
amazingly flame-free.

Believe it or not 3 years ago it was even better!
Though it still beats any other newsgroup I've used.

alt.html being just about the worst, with big egos and little real knowledge
depth.

Java people rock!

Peter

Jacob said:
A lot better!

I must admit I miss Jon Skeet (also on clj.help). Not that I am criticising
all the other knowledgeable people who post replies here! Jon was was just
really good, that's all.

Michael Borgwardt

Razvan said:
I was a regular COLA (comp.os.linux.advocacy) reader and I still read
it from time to time. On COLA the days when you find useful
information are fortunate. Flame wars over flame wars over flame wars
and on top of that personal attacks.

Isn't that what *.advocacy groups are for? Or at least the kind of behaviour
they attract above all else? They aren't very technical in nature.

Razvan

Isn't that what *.advocacy groups are for? Or at least the kind of behaviour
they attract above all else?

Will a flame war convince you of anything ? Will a personal attack
convince you that your opponent is right ? I do not see your point.

They aren't very technical in nature.

Report a software bug. In most cases you will be called a troll
before you have the chance to explain your position.

Stefan Schulz

Report a software bug. In most cases you will be called a troll
before you have the chance to explain your position.

Usually you would not report a bug in an advocacy group. :)

Well, let's not get too off-topic here, though.

See you
Stefan

Stephen Kellett

Razvan said:
it from time to time. On COLA the days when you find useful
information are fortunate. Flame wars over flame wars over flame wars

Thats the problem with advocacy groups. They'll advocate their way right
or wrong. There is no value in such idiotic behaviour.

Stephen

Razvan

Peter said:
I must admit I miss Jon Skeet (also on clj.help). Not that I am criticising
all the other knowledgeable people who post replies here! Jon was was just
really good, that's all.

I did a group search after his e-mail. Indeed, impressive USENET
career. What happened to this guy ? Why he disappeared all of a sudden
?
Most people come & go: they don't say anything about it. But this guy
has almost 1000 posts. It's like he was hired here:))

Babu Kalakrishnan

Razvan said:
I did a group search after his e-mail. Indeed, impressive USENET
career. What happened to this guy ? Why he disappeared all of a sudden
?

Switched camps :)

Mostly posts in the microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp group these
days.. And his articles on C# on his homepage now outnumber the ones on
Java : (http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/)

BK

Stephen Kellett

Razvan said:
career. What happened to this guy ? Why he disappeared all of a sudden
?

I'd guess he read the Microsoft book on C# by Tom Archer, realized the
C# is superior to Java and jumped ships. I bought this book 3 years ago
and for various reasons never got into reading it, thinking to myself
there isn't much difference between C# and Java (because I'd read
similar stuff in various magazine articles).

I've recently read the first two sections of this book as I need to know
this stuff for an upcoming project. Unless Java has changed out of all
recognition (I know its been updated, but not kept up to date with the
changes - too busy working), C# is a much stronger language than Java.
If the recent changes to Java are to keep it in line with C#, then maybe
he's jumped ship and can't see a reason to return.

Stephen

Chris Smith

Peter said:
I must admit I miss Jon Skeet (also on clj.help). Not that I am criticising
all the other knowledgeable people who post replies here! Jon was was just
really good, that's all.

Here, here! Don't forget Patricia and Roedy, though. It's been long
enough that many here may not even remember Patricia... by far the
single most reliable source for considered and thoughtful responses
we've ever had around here.

I won't be too picky, though. :)

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Michael Borgwardt

Razvan said:
Will a flame war convince you of anything ? Will a personal attack
convince you that your opponent is right ? I do not see your point.

My point is that advocacy groups very strongly tend to attract flamewars,
because advocacy is all about opinion, not technical problems.

And comparing the helpfulness and lack of flamewars of an opinion-centered
group with that of a group dedicated to solving technical problems is
unfair - or at least totally pointless.

Babu Kalakrishnan

Chris said:
Here, here! Don't forget Patricia and Roedy, though. It's been long
enough that many here may not even remember Patricia... by far the
single most reliable source for considered and thoughtful responses
we've ever had around here.

Yes, it is 2 years or more since Patricia last posted here. I assume
she'd probably be completing her Doctorate by now (I think that was the
reason she couldn't find time for newsgroups any longer), and hopefully
we'll see her back here again.. The newsgroup will be that much richer
if she does return..

And I suppose Roedy'll be back after his current high priority task -
the Presidential elections :)

BK

Razvan

What you people know about the Mono project ? I have never really
considered the C# technology because I think the right path is
Unix/Linux. I mean if I will start my own company, Linux will take the
central spot. Currently I do not see any other use for Windows except
for a Windows workstation running Office used to convert the external
documents (most likely received in Word format) to PDF. I have heard
about the Mono project and it raised a few questions. Maybe C# is
still an option combined with Mono
(Mono is working on Unix platforms). But I am thinking that a pure
open source project with modest resources will never be able to match
Sun's resources - as development is concerned. OTOH Microsoft itself
is a danger to the project. If Mono will became very successful then
Microsoft might have the interest of killing the project. If C# is
running very well on Unix then you will have less of a reason to
remain on Windows. All that said a serious company cannot afford the
risk on using C# because, someday, they might be forced to switch to
Windows in a very short time.

All of this is true if you think that Linux will have a central role
in the enterprise - and I really believe that.

Regards,
Razvan