CONTAINS clause problem with apostrophe

John Kotuby

Hi all,
I am confused by the MSDN help regarding the Contains clause for fulltext
search.
The Help states that the single-quote does not need to be escaped for
CONTAINS but must be escaped for FREETEXT.

Here is an example of a CONTAINS put together by my search program which
does not produce an error:

AND ( contains((summary),'("girl''s") and ("children''s" | "dog''s")')
OR contains((List_Name),'("girl''s") and ("children''s" | "dog''s")') )
order by list_Name

The fonts in my email are not correctly representing the clause. I have
replaced ' in the word girl's with 2 single quotes as in typical escaping
for strings...similar to a simple:
(Where list_name = 'girl''s'), because (Where list_name = 'girl's') of
course produces a syntax error.

The problem is that I expect only list_names that contain "girl's" to be
returned. However, with the CONTAINS clause using escape for single-quote
also returns any list_name that contains 'girl' as well.

When I don't double up the quotes, the CONTAINS clause returns an error "
syntax error near 's' ", not what is expected by the online Help.

Anybody have some help for me?

John Kotuby

Sorry everyone...I posted to the wrong group. Meant to post to SqlServer
group.