Controlling exception handling of logging module

sj

Suppose the following are part of a long file and executed:

logging.basicConfig(stream = sys.stderr, level=logging.INFO)
logging.info("%d %d", 1, 2, 3) # buggy

Python prints the traceback of the error as follows:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File ".../local/lib/python2.4/logging/__init__.py", line 706, in emit
msg = self.format(record)
File ".../local/lib/python2.4/logging/__init__.py", line 592, in
format
return fmt.format(record)
File ".../local/lib/python2.4/logging/__init__.py", line 382, in
format
record.message = record.getMessage()
File ".../local/lib/python2.4/logging/__init__.py", line 253, in
getMessage
msg = msg % self.args
TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting

It tells why error occurred, but the traceback is not helpful to locate
where it occurred. I believe that's because the logging module caught
and ate up the exception. I understand that this is a sensible setting
as logging shouldn't harm the main program, but in the debugging phase,
I really want this exception to propagate up so that I can easily
locate from my code. Is there any way to control this behavior so the
error is not handled by the logging module itself?

wittempj

make the second statement 'logging.info("%d %d", 1, 2)' or
'logging.info("%d %d %d", 1, 2, 3)', and all works. for every argument
you want to log you need one format specifier

sj

Thanks, but my point wasn't fixing the bug. I'd like the logging
module to raise an exception on this occasion (rather than print and
consume the error) so that I can find the bug easily. If those two
lines were part of 10,000-line code, I'd have to check all logging
statements one-by-one.

Vinay Sajip

sj said:
Thanks, but my point wasn't fixing the bug. I'd like the logging
module to raise an exception on this occasion (rather than print and
consume the error) so that I can find the bug easily. If those two
lines were part of 10,000-line code, I'd have to check all logging
statements one-by-one.

You'll need to subclass your handler and redefine handleError(), which
is called when an exception is raised during a handler's emit()
operation. See

http://www.red-dove.com/logging/public/logging.Handler-class.html#handleError