Controlling Title and Metatags when using MasterPage

Guest

Hi guys

I'm using a MasterPage for my website rebuild (vs2005, .net2, c#).

I want to be able to control the Title element, both on the MasterPage and
the Content pages. For example, on each page I want the following to appear
for the Title..

SITENAME - some page related title

Obviously, I could just code each page to have "SITENAME - " in, but I'm
trying to find a way of being able to do something like..

this.Title += "some page related title"

... where the "SITENAME - " part has been added by the MasterPage. Can't get
this to work though.. any ideas? If I add to the <title> element of the
MasterPage, then it gets over written by the content, and i end up with

"Untitled Pagesome page related title"

and if I add Page.Title in the MasterPage .cs, then that overrides the title
for the ContentPage, so I end up with

"SITENAME - "

Arrrrgh! Help much appreciated! :eek:) While were on the subject, how can I
change metadata (keywords, description, etc) for each Content page? Can I
just do that directly from the .cs?

Cheers

Dan

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your post.

Based on my understanding, the questions are:
1) How to change page title of a content page while using master page?
2) How to add meta keywords from content page?
If I've misunderstood anything, please feel free to post here.

I think you can change the page title in the master page's PreRender event:

PreRender += new EventHandler(MasterPage_PreRender);
}

void MasterPage_PreRender(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
Page.Title = "Master - " + Page.Title;
}

As for the meta keywords, there're several ways to achieve this, you can
find more information here:

#Master Pages: Tips, Tricks, and Traps
http://odetocode.com/Articles/450.aspx

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Dan,

Appreciate your update and response. I am glad to hear that the problem has
been fixed. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not
hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Joined
Feb 24, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Controlling Title When Using MasterPage

Your solution code is

expvice.com/code.aspx?id=13

Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
MasterPages and Dynamic Title Changes

Hi,

I am also struggling with the document.Title or Page.title issue. I have a master page and seven content placeholders for my controls. I populate a GridView with members from the Database and when a Member is selected load the data into tab dialogs. My drawback is that I need the selected members Name in the Document / Page title and cannot get it to work.

Have tried client javascript ans server side code with no luck. I am using vb

Any Help from anyone would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

William Birt Sr.
Senior Software Engineer
MedExpress Information Systems