converting ASP.Net session type to an ASP one

genc_ymeri

Hi,
Well, I'm looking around for another opinion. We have two webservers, the
legacy one writen in ASP and the new one in ASP.Net.

Once a user logs in the ASP.Net web app, the session of the Login page gets
stored in a DB (in a binary format). Meantime, if the user chooses to go and
run the web legacy system, he doesn't want to log in again, so an "option"
we are considering is to go and get the data from session of Login Page (of
ASP.net web app) which stored in DB at the very first step.

The issue we are facing is how can we convert the ASP.Net session into a old
ASP one ? Is that possible or should we consider another option ?

Any tips very much appreciated !!!!

PS:
1. Passing data through QueryString is not an option due to security
reasons.
2. Another way is to do this through webservices but we are going to parse
all the session data rather than converting it as is from ASP.Net to ASP and
vise versa.

Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]

When you say you store it in the database, what do you mean? I mean,
are you storing values in the db? If this is the case, then you can fetch
these values from the db and use them in a representation native to ASP.

However, if you are serializing data types in the DB, you won't be able
to restore them (at least, easily) in ASP. You would have to create a COM
object in .NET which will perform the deserialization for you, and then make
sure ALL types in the serialized object graph are available for COM interop.

You still run into the problem of passing the session id from ASP.NET to
ASP. You would have to use the query string for that, or issue a POST
(which is the less feasable of the two). You would have to do this on top
of any authentication you have as well (credentials should not be assumed
because of the session id).

Web services would be a better option here, IMO, since it would allow
you to encapsulate the two systems better.

Hope this helps.

genc_ymeri

if you are serializing data types in the DB,
Yes.
You would have to create a COM object in .NET which will perform the
deserialization for you, and then make sure ALL types in the serialized
object graph are available for COM interop. You still run into the problem
of passing >the session id from ASP.NET to

Yep, that's what my team thinks, to create a converter COM object but my
argument is that we still facing the problem of passing at least one
argument, making it possible to know who is requesting .....

However, amzingly enough I found this idea later on implemented here too :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/converttoaspnet.asp

you to encapsulate the two systems better.

I think the same and that's what I'm proposing to my team.

Thanks a lot and greatly appreciated,

Genc Ymeri,
Sr. Software Engineer
Bravera - Reston , VA