Converting file to PDF

ruds

Hello,
I want to convert a file to PDF through PDF converter like pdf995 /
PDF4U using JSP/Servlet dynamically.
the file is passed to the driver of pdf converter, but it should not
show printer dialog box i.e. I want to print it silently.
Can this be done?How should I do this?

Thanks.

Dave Miller

ruds said:
Hello,
I want to convert a file to PDF through PDF converter like pdf995 /
PDF4U using JSP/Servlet dynamically.
the file is passed to the driver of pdf converter, but it should not
show printer dialog box i.e. I want to print it silently.
Can this be done?How should I do this?

Thanks.
Have you looked at iText?

http://www.lowagie.com/iText/

EricF

Yes, I Have. But it does not support document conversation as per my
knowledge.
The file is already present at a location.
When the administrator approves the conversion, the the file should be
read from that location and converted to PDF.
No Itext does what you need. I don't remember how this is done. Google should
help you there. ;-)

Eric

ruds

No Itext does what you need. I don't remember how this is done. Google should
help you there. ;-)

Eric

I googled for "converting .doc file to pdf using itext"
And got one in FAQ:
Q: Can I convert WORD doc-files or RTF to PDF using iText?
Filed in category iText limitations

Bruno Lowagie; viewed 9286 times

No, iText is only able to generate RTF. It doesn't do RTF or Word-doc
parsing.
Try Apache POI if you want to parse Word documents.

So, that not what I want.
Please suggest something else.

Lew

ruds said:
I googled for "converting .doc file to pdf using itext"
And got one in FAQ:
Q: Can I convert WORD doc-files or RTF to PDF using iText?
Filed in category iText limitations

Bruno Lowagie; viewed 9286 times

No, iText is only able to generate RTF. It doesn't do RTF or Word-doc
parsing.
Try Apache POI if you want to parse Word documents.

So, that not what I want.
Please suggest something else.

If Apache POI can parse .doc files, and iText can generate PDFs, can't the
combination parse .doc files and generate PDFs?

ruds

If Apache POI can parse .doc files, and iText can generate PDFs, can't the
combination parse .doc files and generate PDFs?

But I have other files types too, that need to be converted to PDF's
like excel,ppt, jpg,etc.
Cant I just use pdf995 or PDF4U free s/w to do the same?
Also I want to convert them in background.