Converting integers to english representation

Guest

Hello All,

I'm developing a system to parse and enumerate addresses. The
current obstacle is numbered streets. Does anybody know of a
module already written to convert integers to their english
equivalents?

Example:
1ST -> FIRST
SECOND -> 2ND

or even something like this:
1 -> ONE
TWO -> 2

There's something similar in the dive into python book with
roman numerals. http://diveintopython.org/unit_testing/index.html

Anything towards that direction would greatly help and save me
a lot of time then from starting from scratch.

Thank you in advance.
-Brian

Peter Hansen

I'm developing a system to parse and enumerate addresses. The
current obstacle is numbered streets. Does anybody know of a
module already written to convert integers to their english
equivalents?

Example:
1ST -> FIRST
SECOND -> 2ND

Anything towards that direction would greatly help and save me
a lot of time then from starting from scratch.

The word you are missing is probably 'ordinal', as opposed
to cardinal (one, two, three) numbers. Google can likely
help you with a search for "ordinal number convert' or
such.

-Peter

Martin Maney

I'm developing a system to parse and enumerate addresses. The
current obstacle is numbered streets. Does anybody know of a
module already written to convert integers to their english
equivalents?

The suggestion about searching for "ordinal" is good, but runs into all
those unicode false hits. :-(

It isn't quite the same as either of your examples, and it goes only
one way, but this is what I'm using in one app where I want ordinalized
day numbers:

def _ord_sfx(decade):
if decade != 1:
return ('th', 'st', 'nd', 'rd', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th')
return ('th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th')

def ordinalize(n):
decade = (n % 100) / 10
unit = n % 10
return '%d%s' % (n, _ord_sfx(decade)[unit])

--
If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into

Cameron Laird

I'm developing a system to parse and enumerate addresses. The
current obstacle is numbered streets. Does anybody know of a
module already written to convert integers to their english
equivalents?

The suggestion about searching for "ordinal" is good, but runs into all
those unicode false hits. :-(

It isn't quite the same as either of your examples, and it goes only
one way, but this is what I'm using in one app where I want ordinalized
day numbers:

def _ord_sfx(decade):
if decade != 1:
return ('th', 'st', 'nd', 'rd', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th')
return ('th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th')

def ordinalize(n):
decade = (n % 100) / 10
unit = n % 10
return '%d%s' % (n, _ord_sfx(decade)[unit])
.
.
.
Those who want to pursue this deeper will probably read <URL:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/snakelets/Snakelets/webapps/test/Attic/number.py >
and <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/591 >.