Converting integers to english representation

Discussion in 'Python' started by Guest, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello All,

    I'm developing a system to parse and enumerate addresses. The
    current obstacle is numbered streets. Does anybody know of a
    module already written to convert integers to their english
    equivalents?

    Example:
    1ST -> FIRST
    SECOND -> 2ND

    or even something like this:
    1 -> ONE
    TWO -> 2

    There's something similar in the dive into python book with
    roman numerals. http://diveintopython.org/unit_testing/index.html

    Anything towards that direction would greatly help and save me
    a lot of time then from starting from scratch.

    Thank you in advance.
    -Brian

    Guest, Aug 31, 2004

    Peter Hansen Guest

    The word you are missing is probably 'ordinal', as opposed
    to cardinal (one, two, three) numbers. Google can likely
    help you with a search for "ordinal number convert' or
    such.

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Aug 31, 2004

    Martin Maney Guest

    The suggestion about searching for "ordinal" is good, but runs into all
    those unicode false hits. :-(

    It isn't quite the same as either of your examples, and it goes only
    one way, but this is what I'm using in one app where I want ordinalized
    day numbers:

    def _ord_sfx(decade):
    if decade != 1:
    return ('th', 'st', 'nd', 'rd', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th')
    return ('th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th', 'th')

    def ordinalize(n):
    decade = (n % 100) / 10
    unit = n % 10
    return '%d%s' % (n, _ord_sfx(decade)[unit])

    --
    If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
    it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into

    Martin Maney, Sep 8, 2004
  4. .
    .
    .
    Those who want to pursue this deeper will probably read <URL:
    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/snakelets/Snakelets/webapps/test/Attic/number.py >
    and <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/591 >.

    Cameron Laird, Sep 9, 2004