Converting xml docbook to html and pdf

bringmewater

I'm in Windows XP and wish to convert an xml file that is in docbook
format to the following 2 formats:

multiple html files

single pdf file

Are there any free apps that can do this?
I need to have them create the table of contents and the indexes from
my tags also.
Thanks

Joris Gillis

Tempore 16:40:55 said:
I'm in Windows XP and wish to convert an xml file that is in docbook
format to the following 2 formats:

multiple html files

single pdf file

XSL is an open technology by W3C that is perfectly suited for these tasks.

Search the web for "docbook" and "xsl"

regards,

Peter Flynn

I'm in Windows XP and wish to convert an xml file that is in docbook
format to the following 2 formats:

multiple html files

single pdf file

Are there any free apps that can do this?

Yes, lots. See the XML FAQ at http://xml.silmaril.ie/authors/style/

The DocBook project provides XSLT transformations to HTML and PDF, and
I think also to LaTeX to make PDF (alternative).

If you don't like the design of the output you can always write your
own stylesheets.
I need to have them create the table of contents and the indexes from
my tags also.

That is automated in the code they supply, I believe.

All you need is a copy of a suitable XSL[T] processor (and a copy
of LaTeX if you prefer that). All are freely available for all platforms.

///Peter

Steve Ball

The DocBook XSL stylesheets provide the means of producing HTML and PDF
(via FO). If you want a Windows Gui application to run the stylesheets
then you could try tkxsltproc from:

http://tclxml.sf.net/tkxsltproc.html

You'll also need something to convert XSL-FO into PDF. FOP
(http://xml.apache.org/fop/) is a freely available formatter for doing
this. I have a small GUI utility for running FOP - contact me if you
are interested.

HTHs,
Steve Ball