Corrupted Java installation needs fixing!

Qu0ll

I was trying to install Java 6 JRE on a Windows Server 2003 machine but
something went awry and after about 4 hours of inactivity I killed the
install process. Big mistake. Now it sort of thinks it's installed but
isn't actually installed. When I click on the Java icon in the Control
Panel it complains that it couldn't find the main class and the same thing
happens whenever I try to run any other Java program.

So I tried uninstalling JRE from the Add/Remove Programs and it complained
that this was only valid for installed products. So I ran the Microsoft
Windows Install Cleanup and that got rid of it. But now when I try to run
the original install again it first says that the product is already
installed and asks if I want to reinstall it and then when I say yes it
complains again that this is only valid for installed products and exits.

How do I get out of this corrupted situation and install Java on this
machine?

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)

Evans

Hmm, never had to deal with this sort of problem before...so my little
advice here may not help.

That said, try manually deleting the installation folder that was
created. And if possible, remove all references in the registry for
the Java installation; this needs to be done with extra care,
otherwise..:-(

If you still encounter the error again after the steps above, restarts
your computer and try another clean installation - it should work, I
hope.

Evans
http://jroller.com/javawug

Qu0ll

Evans said:
Hmm, never had to deal with this sort of problem before...so my little
advice here may not help.

That said, try manually deleting the installation folder that was
created. And if possible, remove all references in the registry for
the Java installation; this needs to be done with extra care,
otherwise..:-(

If you still encounter the error again after the steps above, restarts
your computer and try another clean installation - it should work, I
hope.

Your advice is spot on in that I was able to start the installer properly by
first manually cleaning up the registry and removing all JavaSoft folder
entries. But now I still can't install the latest JRE (JSE 6 Update 10 b25)
because I encounter the following error in the "Registering product" phase:

Error 25099: Unzipping core files failed.

I tried to install JRE 6 Update 6 and it went in without any problems so
it's just the Update 10 BETA that's causing problems now.

Any ideas?

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)

Daniel Pitts

Qu0ll said:
Your advice is spot on in that I was able to start the installer
properly by first manually cleaning up the registry and removing all
JavaSoft folder entries. But now I still can't install the latest JRE
(JSE 6 Update 10 b25) because I encounter the following error in the
"Registering product" phase:

Error 25099: Unzipping core files failed.

I tried to install JRE 6 Update 6 and it went in without any problems so
it's just the Update 10 BETA that's causing problems now.

Any ideas?
Maybe you're out of disk-space, or you've acquired a corrupt zip file.
It might also be that your harddrive has bad sectors, and that is
causing problems.

Or maybe you need to run as Administrator to install properly.

Qu0ll

[...]
Maybe you're out of disk-space,

Nope, there's > 500GB free!
or you've acquired a corrupt zip file.

Nope, it installs fine on Vista.
It might also be that your harddrive has bad sectors, and that is causing
problems.

Possibly but why would the JSE 6 Update 6 install without dramas and why
would every other program not have any problems?
Or maybe you need to run as Administrator to install properly.

Nope, tried that.

All I can conclude is that there is a bug with the Beta JRE that only
manifests itself on Windows Server 2003 machines and/or Domain Controllers.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)

Evans

Hi again,

It seems there's a problem with the Beta update version you
downloaded...
Give it another week or so for a more stable update to be released,
and please never use beta versions of any software on a production
machine.

If you have a second computer hanging about, try installing it there
just to be sure that the problem is not from your computer.

Again, what ever happens, please let us know...

Good luck,

Evans
http://www.onyxtic.com