Create Database

dancer

Using Asp.net 1.1

I find tutorials on accessing or querying databases with asp.net. But how
do I create the database to begin with (from a form that the user fills
out)?

Mark Rae

Using Asp.net 1.1

I find tutorials on accessing or querying databases with asp.net. But how
do I create the database to begin with (from a form that the user fills
out)?

What database format? SQL Server, SQL Compact Edition, Jet, Oracle, FoxPro,
MySql...???

Guest

Using Asp.net 1.1

I find tutorials on accessing or querying databases with asp.net. But how
do I create the database to begin with (from a form that the user fills
out)?

You should create a database from the beginning. If a user filled out
a form, the application should insert new record into a database.

dancer

I don't know what format I should use. I know Access. I do not know the
others. I don't have any programs on my computer except for Access. As for
language - I do not know c#. I know vb.
What would you recommend?

Mark Rae

I don't know what format I should use. I know Access. I do not know the
others. I don't have any programs on my computer except for Access. As for
language - I do not know c#. I know vb.
What would you recommend?

OK, let's for the sake of argument say that you're going to use Jet (which
you refer to as an "Access database", although there's actually no such
thing as an "Access database")...

ADO.NET can do everything you could possibly want to do with a Jet
database - except create one... :)

Fortunately, there's an easy workround for that - just create a completely
blank database yourself, and then copy it to your website somewhere that
ASP.NET can get hold if it but your users can't.

Then, whenever you need to "create" a new database, just copy the blank one,
rename it and add any database objects as required...

Mark Rae

Will an XML file serve as a database?

Yes, but that's really not what it's for...

An Excel workbook could also be used as a database but, again, that's not
what Excel is designed for...

dancer

What is XML designed for?

Mark Rae said:
Yes, but that's really not what it's for...

An Excel workbook could also be used as a database but, again, that's not
what Excel is designed for...

dancer

I don't understand. I have never heard of Jet.
Why is Access not a database? Sorry to be so ignorant, but please enlighten
me.

Thanks

George Ter-Saakov

Technically: JET (Joint Engine Technology) is the actual database engine for
MS Access.
MS Access is a visual add on to allow people to work with JET.
But as far as I am concerned I and most of the programmers saying that we
using MS Access database even if we do not use MS Access and accessing MDB
files with .NET

George.

dancer said:
I don't understand. I have never heard of Jet.
Why is Access not a database? Sorry to be so ignorant, but please
enlighten me.

Thanks

Guest

I don't know what format I should use. I know Access. I do not know the
others. I don't have any programs on my computer except for Access. As for
language - I do not know c#. I know vb.
What would you recommend?

I would recommend to identify what kind of data and how many data you
would have. 100 rows can be served anywhere, 1,000,000 would be a
problem for Access.

dancer

The number of records would not be large, but there would be a large number
of fields: 50 fields, 4 of which could contain several sentences.
Does that make a difference?

Mark Rae

Technically: JET (Joint Engine Technology) is the actual database engine
for MS Access.

Yes indeed, and written by the SQL Server team, not the Access team...

Microsoft shipped Jet with several tools, not just Access e.g. VB, VC++
etc...
MS Access is a visual add on to allow people to work with JET.
Correct.

But as far as I am concerned I and most of the programmers saying that we
using MS Access database even if we do not use MS Access and accessing MDB
files with .NET

Indeed - it has become synonymous with Access...

AAMOI, the Jet database format is now deprecated and is about to become
obsolete...

Guest

The number of records would not be large, but there would be a large number
of fields: 50 fields, 4 of which could contain several sentences.
Does that make a difference?

I don't think that it make sense to install SQL Server for that,
especially if you have no any background in it. That could be done
either with Access or XML. Both have some advantages, and
disadvantages. Maybe, Access (Jet) would be a best choice for you at
the moment - you will see how it works and later maybe you could
consider for a real database such as SQL Server.

Mark Rae

I don't think that it make sense to install SQL Server for that,
especially if you have no any background in it. That could be done
either with Access or XML. Both have some advantages, and
disadvantages. Maybe, Access (Jet) would be a best choice for you at
the moment - you will see how it works and later maybe you could
consider for a real database such as SQL Server.

SQL Server Compact Edition would also be a good solution:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/compact/default.mspx

Guest

SQL Server Compact Edition would also be a good solution:http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/compact/default.mspx

Well, we need a database for one table with few records and 50 fields.
SQL CE would be a good choice to learn the basics, but it cannot be
used in production, right? I don't know where it supposed to be used,
but if it will be hosted somewhere in the internet we would need
another version of SQL. In this case, dancer could go for SQL Server
Express Edition, which is better, I think. To switch from CE to SQL
Server Standard Edition (or Enterprise) would require a change of data
access code and CE is really limited (no stored procedures, etc).

dancer

"AAMOI, the Jet database format is now deprecated and is about to become
obsolete..."

So does that mean that Access is about to become obsolete?