Create user Wizard / Login Control

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jeff, Dec 6, 2009.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Good Evening everyone,

    Just wondering if someone can help with my problem. I created an ASP
    website using VB ( all in VS 2008), I created a Create User page and added a
    Create User Wizard Control, and I also created a second page that has a
    Login Control, once logged in the user is redirected to a Members page.
    Eveything works fine on the computer I created this on and it works on every
    computer I have copied it to and worked on thru VS. I wanted to put on a
    webserver to view in actual production, I just copied the folder with
    solution and all other files onto a flash drive and then I copied them from
    there onto a computer that I have running Windows Server 2003 Web Edition,
    into the Inetpub folder where I have the other websites That I have.

    The website comes up no problems, BUT when I try to log in or create a new
    user i get an error:

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    Runtime Error
    error settings for this application prevent the details of the application
    error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however,
    be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

    Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable
    on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config"
    configuration file located in the root directory of the current web
    application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute
    set to "Off".

    I am thinking that it has something to do with the built in database file
    that is created and put in the App Data folder when you use the create user
    and Login Controls.?

    I have had nothing else loaded on the Server on the server OS, so today
    thinking that maybe it needs SQL server to know how to deal with the .MDF
    file I installed SQL Server express, but that did not help still same error.
    Although my other ASP sites (and this one) had been working without
    Frontpage Extentions configured I went ahead and ran that configuration
    manager, again nothing.

    So I am not sure what I need to do or what setting I might need to correct
    on the server in order to get this site working correctly?

    Thanks for the Help,

    Jeff

    Jeff, Dec 6, 2009

  2. Until you get to the actual error, there is NO WAY to accurately predict
    what is going on.

    If I were to take a wild guess, I would say you have an incorrect
    connection string. Or, perhaps, the database does not have the proper
    protocol(s) installed to talk to your app. But there could be bad code
    in your app, as well, so these are just guesses based on common
    questions asked here.

    But, with the "I can't display the error, but something bad happened"
    message, I can't verify this is true.

    Peace and Grace,

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |

    Gregory A. Beamer, Dec 7, 2009

  3. Jeff

    Hillbilly Guest

    This has NOTHING to do with FrontPage Extensions which at this point in
    history are not needed and should not even be used. Throw FrontPage away and
    use Expression Web or some other HTML IDE.

    Secondly, if you're going to run your own server fine but generally speaking
    SQL Server Express and the MDF files are nothing but trouble which can be
    learned by search and reading what others have experienced.

    Finally, if you are running Vista and have an instance of IIS running on
    your local Vista machine running to test some more load this blog item and
    follow the directions:
    http://metromilwaukee.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!BE0E8B9C55C5E5E4!215.entry

    Then replicate your thumb drive file transfer method. Don't forget you have
    to give the folder permissions. Microsoft is FUBAR and keeps changing the
    name of the service that ASP.NET needs to run so you determine what is
    needed by their current server product. This will help you determine which
    machine and which instance of IIS configuration is giving you a problem.

    Hillbilly, Dec 7, 2009