CreateUserWizard control: forcing it to use a programmatically provided username and e-mail

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ken Fine, Apr 29, 2008.

  1. Ken Fine

    Ken Fine Guest

    I am using ASP.NET's CreateUserWizard control. I want to force the visitor
    to use a username and e-mail address that I am providing in programming, and
    I do not want the visitor to be able to edit the forms input.

    I am aware that I can roll my own Create User form by using the membership
    API, but I am lazy and want to use most of the CreateUserWizard control's
    features.

    I tried converting the form to a template and setting the UserName and Email
    forms to Enabled="false" and populating their values programmatically. The
    client-side validation behaviors prevent this from working: the non-enabled
    items get red asterisks on input.

    I imagine I could set the value for the names/e-mails in programming
    regardless of the user's input, but I want to cue the visitor that they are
    not allowed to change these values from what I am specifying.

    Suggestions?

    Thanks,
    -KF

    Ken Fine, Apr 29, 2008

  2. Ken Fine

    Ken Fine Guest

    A bit more information: ASP.NET does have a "SubmitDisabledForm" boolean
    property that can be attached to the form tag for the page. This does not
    help with the client-side validation behavior I describe below.

    -KF

    Ken Fine, Apr 29, 2008

  3. Ken Fine

    Ken Fine Guest

    OK, this ranks in the "duh" department, though the information I provided in
    my last message regarding the SubmitDisabledForm property may be useful for
    someone in the future.

    To deal with the issue I describe below, convert the CreateUserWizard
    control to a template, and simply go into the source and strip out the
    RequiredFieldValidator controls from the controls that you are making
    mandatory defaults.

    -KF

    Ken Fine, Apr 29, 2008
  4. Hi Ken,

    Thanks for sharing your solution with us.

    As for the Email field in CreateuserWizard, you can also consider set the
    TextBox to readonly mode (via the "readonly" html attribute). e.g.

    ======
    <asp:TextBox ID="Email" runat="server" onload="Email_Load"
    readonly="true"></asp:TextBox>

    ==========

    Thus, you can still programmtically assign value to the TextBox and the
    value will be posted back when form is submit(validator will work correctly
    with it).

    Hope this also helps.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    programmatically provided username and e-mail

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Apr 30, 2008