Creating a 24-bit PNG with binary transparency?

Leif K-Brooks

Could someone please point me to a tool which can convert a 32-bit PNG
(24 bits of color, 8 bits of alpha channel) to a 24-bit PNG with binary
transparency? According to what I've read, this is supported by the
format and will work in IE, but I haven't been able to find any
information on how it's done.

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Leif K-Brooks
finally proclaimed:
Could someone please point me to a tool which can convert a 32-bit PNG
(24 bits of color, 8 bits of alpha channel) to a 24-bit PNG with binary
transparency?

I thought you could only have 24-bit with alpha transparency, and 8-bit
with binary transparency? Photoshop certainly does allow me to use
24-bit PNG files with binary transparency.

NullBock

I'm not familiar with PNG transparency, but if it can be done, then the
Gimp can do it. Here's the website: http://gimp.org/.

The Gimp is a free, open-source, multi-platform image editor. The
learning curve is fairly high when first starting out, but it really is
a great tool.

Walter
----
Walter Gildersleeve
Freiburg, Germany

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could
produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet,
we know that is not true." -- Robert Wilensky

http://linkfrog.net
URL Shortening
Free and easy, small and green.

Jim Higson

NullBock said:
I'm not familiar with PNG transparency, but if it can be done, then the
Gimp can do it. Here's the website: http://gimp.org/.

There's plenty of the PNG standard that the GIMP can't do properly. For a
start: Indexed images with trasparency, images with more than 32-bit
colour, gamma correction.

If you want an open-source editor that can do these things, try Krita.

Toby Inkster

Jim said:
There's plenty of the PNG standard that the GIMP can't do properly. For a
start: Indexed images with trasparency, images with more than 32-bit
colour, gamma correction.

GIMP can do indexed images with transparency -- just reduce the colour
depth of the image to 255 colours or less.

Joined
Jul 20, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Found the tool

Leif K-Brooks said:
Could someone please point me to a tool which can convert a 32-bit PNG (24 bits of color, 8 bits of alpha channel) to a 24-bit PNG with binary transparency?
Faced the same problem. If anyone is still interested, I've managed to find the tool - Pixelformer (it is basically an icon/bitmap editor). Just select RGB (24 bit) as the target format and export your image to PNG.