creating a BED properties class with web services

steven

hi

i'm working on a web site (written in .net 1.1) that makes heavy use
of web services written in .net 2.0. the web site needs to sniff the
URL being used and set certain parameters like db connections (to the
QA or Production DB based on the URL). these properties should all be
captured in an AppConfig properties class and passed to the web
service. I'd like the AppConfig properties class to be written as a
web service, but there doesn't seem to be any support for things like:

<WebMethod()> _
Public Property DBConn()
Get
Return _dbConn
End Get
Set(ByVal value)
_dbConn = value
End Set
End Property

i guess i could create this properties class with a bunch of functions
to do this:

<WebMethod()>_
Public Function GetDbConn as String
return _dbConn
End Function

<WebMethod()>_
Public Sub SetDbConn(ByVal sDbConn As String)
_dbConn = sDbConn
End Sub

but is there a more elegant way of doing this?

any suggestions appreciated.

tks

John Saunders [MVP]

steven said:
[...]

Sorry, web methods can only be methods.

Furthermore, you should consider something more granular. Keep in mind that
each reference to a web method is a request/response pair. You don't really
want to do 10 separate request/response exchanges just to fetch 10
properties.

Instead, consider wrapping a set of properties in a class, and have a single
web method called, say, "GetConfigurationProperties" that returns the entire
set. The client can then access the individual properties however it likes.

steven

Sorry, web methods can only be methods.

Furthermore, you should consider something more granular. Keep in mind that
each reference to a web method is a request/response pair. You don't really
want to do 10 separate request/response exchanges just to fetch 10
properties.

Instead, consider wrapping a set of properties in a class, and have a single
web method called, say, "GetConfigurationProperties" that returns the entire
set. The client can then access the individual properties however it likes.

tks for the advice, john. my approch was feeling a little forced.