Creating dynamic signatures, possible?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Anton, Sep 16, 2009.

  1. Anton

    Anton Guest

    hi

    I wonder if it's possible to create dynamic signatures, that is signatures
    which can be updated after the they have been sent in email or posted on in
    blogs etc...

    I've been playing arround with creating an image which I host on my
    webserver. After I've send email to my hotmail address I can update the
    image and see the changes inside the e-mail...

    But I run into several problems here
    1) if the recipeint uses outlook, he gets a warning in his email warning
    about potential phising email.
    2) emails might be banned in spam filter
    3) sometimes the updated image isn't displayed automatically, deleting the
    temp internet files is needed

    any ideas on how to overcome these problems are most welcome!

    Regards!

    Anton

    Anton, Sep 16, 2009

  2. Blogs? Certainly. Just have the sig stored in the user's profile table.
    This does not necessarily mean the ASP.NET Profile bits, just the location
    where you store user information about posting.

    Email? No. Once an email is sent, it is sent. The image direction is about
    the only way to change things after they are sent, as the image will be the
    image when the user views the email.

    Peace and Grace,

    Gregory A. Beamer, Sep 16, 2009

  3. Anton

    Anton Guest

    My approach was to convert to the sig into image as you suggests. I've run
    into several problems with that. Some emails block it, displays warning
    about potential phising etc... and sometimes it works nicely (when email
    sent from my hotmail account to Outlook Express)

    When it works nicely, the image in already sent emails is updated when image
    is updated, now trying to make this to be more smoother and looking for ways
    to get arround the problems I mentioned above.

    I thought about putting some javascript in a html file, and let this
    javascript inject the content (that is inject the sig), then avoid using
    image. But that approach have it's own problems. Outlook might not execute
    javascripts inside emails + more problems

    suggestions are welcome

    Anton, Sep 16, 2009
  4. Anton

    Patrice Guest

    The overall goal being ? For now I would say it doesn't look realistic
    (assuming your goal is to auto update at will your personal information in
    each and every mail you ever sent on the internet).

    Instead you could perhaps include a link to a site you would keep forever
    and update your coordinate there (using perhaps a vcard
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCard))...

    Patrice, Sep 16, 2009
  5. Anton

    Anton Guest

    The overall goal being ?
    That was to create a website where people can store their signatures, they
    could login to the website and make changes to their signatures - and
    signatures is updated in already sent emails also....

    Anton, Sep 16, 2009

  6. Other than images, that is an unrealistic goal. You can't change history;
    you can only change the future.

    Peace and Grace,

    Gregory A. Beamer, Sep 16, 2009
  7. Anton

    Anton Guest

    I agree, images is the only way that might work (have just done a test using
    iframe, but outlook doesn't support it).
    so I have signatures converted to images.

    One thing that is annoying me is that when I send such email with sig as
    image, then in outlook a warning is displayed warning people this might be a
    potential phisiing email... I don't want it to treated like a potential
    phising email. Maybe it's the querystring outlook don't like, the
    querystring is Show.aspx?id=31, 31 being id for a signature!

    you got any tips about how to solve my phising problem?

    Anton, Sep 16, 2009
  8. MVC might work. The only issue is it may still be seen as phishing if it
    does not contain .jpg, .png or .gif.

    Another option is save the image with the user's id, like 31.jpg and
    link to that. Every time the user updates, just save over the image.
    That should work fine. The downside is you have to track hits with the
    raw web files instead of some other mechanism.

    Peace and Grace,

    Gregory A. Beamer, Sep 16, 2009